Author Topic: Lactose-Free Milk Constipating  (Read 6704 times)

Offline luv for 2

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: December 24, 2006, 22:19:54 pm »
Our 9 month old has always had tummy troubles and never really enjoyed taking a bottle.  We tryed BF for 3 months, soy for 2 months and Nestle Good Start for 4 months.  Through all of them he has had difficulty with constipation and just general fussiness.  Now our Dr has suggested that we try LF 2% milk.  DS loves it.  He gulps back his bottle without problem (never has before) but of course something had to go wrong and now he is extremely constipated!!  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Should we try a LF formula (is it sweet like milk? or sour like the Nestle?)  Is it possible that he may have a different reaction to soy now that he's old?  I know that our Dr suggested milk instead of formula so that we didn't have to switch him again in 3 months but it really is creating a grumpy baby!

shimzy

Re: Lactose-Free Milk Constipating
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 03:35:32 am »
Are you sure its the formula? What kinds of solids is he eating?

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 05:52:37 am »
My DD was constipated on everything - so much so that we ended up giving her lactulose to help soften things up.  Once she started taking her solids regularly (she's an insanely picky eater but will take yogurt pretty regularly), things improved.  We didn't notice any change between formula (settled on Good Starts after about 4 months and a dozen different formulas) and milk.  Will your LO drink some extra water or take a bit more prunes or pears or something that will have a more laxative effect?
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 20:20:07 pm »
We found that when we changed our DS's formula he got very constipated.  So many things constipated him.

We found that along with lacutlose, banana, and offering him small amounts of prune juice this seemed to get things moving.

Hugs, it is so hard to see them when they are constipated and in so much pain.

Please keep us posted on how you get on.
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline luv for 2

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 03:24:55 am »
I'm sorry that it took me so long to respond to your questions but all 4 of us have been sick the last 2 weeks  :(  Anyways to answer your questions.  I believe that it is a formula problem because the drs have examined him and physically he is fine.  He is intolerant to lactose, soy, oats and wheat so far so cow's milk protein might be an intolerance too!  I tried for over a week to get him to take a HA formula and he barely took more than 1 oz at each bottle no matter how hungry he was.

He eats prunes, pears, apricots, peaches, green beans, sweet potatoes, etc.  We have tried prune juice but he won't drink it, he likes apple juice but he spits up everytime after drinking it.  He'll drink pear juice but it hasn't helped.  We cut out all grains about 3 days ago so I'm waiting to see if that has an affect.  He was eating barley cereal (1 serving daily), cheerios(1 tablespoon daily) and rice crackers (1/2 daily).  It didn't seem like a lot to me but since he is so sensitive to the above things than I'm hoping that is what is causing his problem. 

I stopped giving him yogurt when we started on lactose free milk although I'd heard that it can sometimes help.  He can't have lactulose because it has lactose in it and our dr hasn't recommended any other medicines to soften things out.

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 21:45:23 pm »
Hugs, I hope that things improve soon.

Just wanted to say, that Apples can be very constipating too.  When DS started nursery, they started giving him Apple juice to drink, and it really constipated him.

Please keep us posted on how you get on.

Offline luv for 2

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 03:52:13 am »
Well as it turns out his little system couldn't quite handle the LF 2% milk.  The doctor gave us colace to help loosen things up but before giving him any more medicines I decided to try LF formula and miracle of miracles he's fine.  He is now a little milk piggy it's the first time in his short 10 month life that he has willingly taken a bottle!!  He will even let us hold him now (typing that brings tears to my eyes because that is also a first!)  I don't care if he's on formula until he's 3 as long as he'll drink it and it comes out the other end without difficulty. 

And now because he isn't constipated and his tummy isn't bothered by any lactose, he is eating everything in sight.  I've even been feeding him cereal once a day.  The biggest problem that I am having now is finding finger foods (cookies/crackers) that don't have lactose in them.  He likes his rice krispies so as long as that's the case we're ok. 

Thank you everyone for their input.  This has been a very long battle for us that we seem to finally won.  Now the next thing will be less interupted sleep during the night!

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 20:48:29 pm »
That is fantastic news, I am so pleased that things have improved.  It is so hard seeing your lo constipated.