Author Topic: Routine check please for 8 week old  (Read 708 times)

Offline Midgetgem

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 04, 2013, 07:30:12 am »
Hi, please could someone have a look at our routine and see if we could make any tweaks.

WU - between 6-6.45am try to settle with dummy but sometimes have to give half 7am bottle as night feed to settle
E - 7am 5-6oz
A - 1-1.25hrs
S - 8am
E - 10am 5-6oz
A - 1-1.5hrs
S - 11.30am
E - 1pm 5-6oz
A - 1-1.5hrs
S - 2.15pm
E - 4pm 5-6oz
A - 1-1.25hrs
CN - 5.15pm
BTR - 6pm start - bath, massage, pjs
E - 6.30pm 5-6oz
S - in cot by 7pm but can often take unt 8pm to fall asleep
E - 11pm 5-6oz - have tried feeding at 10-10.30 but usually only goes 4 hrs from this feed so if give DF closet to 10am end up with 2 NF's around 1-2am then 4-5am. Not managing to get to 4am yet even though gave DF last night at 11.30pm.
NF - 4oz usually 3-3.30am if DF at 11am
Then wakes again from 6am ready to start day, trying to extend this to closer to 7am.

Do you think this routine looks ok? Lo weighs about 12lb putting on weight well, about 1lb a week!!!
We have increased bottles from 5 to 6oz this week but not reduced NF amount...should we???

Also wondering if the am nap is too early resulting in EMW??

Sometimes lo will only take 4oz for some bottles and still nap well.
Sometimes we can have long naps 1.5-2hrs other days we can have short naps and won't resettle.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Routine check please for 8 week old
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 12:27:34 pm »
Hi there,

At 8 weeks most people don't have much of a routine at all, so I'd say you're doing really well :D  Variation is absolutely normal and to be expected.

In general your A times look pretty good - average at 8 weeks would be around 1h15.  The times where it's more like 1h30 might be a bit long, but honestly if things are generally working I wouldn't change a lot.  I don't think your first nap is too early or causing the 6am WU.  Things change so much in the first few weeks that the routine will likely be competely different in a fortnight.  Keep following your LOs cues and you'll do great!

With feeds overnight, you would expect LO to be able to go as long at night as during the day i.e. 3h, so I wouldn't feed if it has been less time than that, but a DF, feed at 1/2am and 4/5am is completely normal for this age.  Their little tummies can only hold so much, but over the next few weeks that will probably start to extend out :)