Author Topic: how should i burp?!  (Read 1631 times)

Offline *happy*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
how should i burp?!
« on: July 29, 2012, 10:38:30 am »
Hey all,
i havent posted here before (i dont think!) & not sure if i should be posting on the BFing thread,bit im after a bit of advice.
I started to wean my DD from exclusive BFing to BM in a bottle 2 weeks ago.She takes the feed no problem, but twice now,she has spewed it all back up at the next feed. I think it's because we havent burped her properly?When I am BFing her, i literally just have to sit her up straight on the boppy & out pops a burp!I obviously need to do more when she is takign a bottle, but she resists being held "over my shoulder" in the usual burping position-she'll strain back away from me which makes it really hard to burp her...any tips?!

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: how should i burp?!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 11:16:00 am »
Is she taking the milk too fast? Too much?  What if you stop her part way into the feed to burp her? 

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline *happy*

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 18:50:02 pm »
TBH i dont really know!we very rarely gave bottle feeds during the past 6 mo!im a novice!!!she is quite happy to have the bottle taken out to stop for a bit & will sit up & often burp as she does with BFing,but then it's at the BT feed taht she can spew it all up again.how do i know that all the burps are up?!

Offline mickey44

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 00:42:50 am »
I usually sit DD on my lap sideways and rub her back until she burps.  I usually assume she is done if she has had one good burp and is not fussy or anything.  I rub her back as she has reflux and if I pat she will spit up but you can also pat her back if that works better for her.  DD2 also resists being held over my shoulder so we discovered the sitting up way and it works great!
Stacey

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 00:43:18 am »
I wonder if she's taking too much at that feed.  She may be over feeding (many babies will continue to take from the bottle since it's so easy, KWIM?)

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline *happy*

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 08:14:39 am »
ya,maybe that's it...will try cuttin back on the milk& see if that helps....will also try the rubbing....there's always something to figure out,isn't there?!thanks ladies.x