Author Topic: Night wakings in almost 5 month old  (Read 6178 times)

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Night wakings in almost 5 month old
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2016, 19:43:45 pm »
Alright, sorry, thought she was older. Still think its worth pushing to see how she goes.

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2016, 23:53:38 pm »
As mentioned above, the day gets longer as A times increase and then shorter once you drop the third nap.  Is there a basic standard of what's too long and too short?  Right now she's getting about 10.5 total hours of A time.  Her morning A is up to 1h45m (she is 5.5 months) and the others are around 2h20m give or take.  Once I fed her to 3 hrs in the morning I automatically try for 3 hours for all A times and her total A time is 9 hours?  What if she sleeps late one morning and takes a long and late morning nap and a long pm nap and total A time is less than 9 hours, is that crazy and too for total A time?  I'm sure it just depends on the kid but wondering if there is a basic min and max for most babies?

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2016, 06:05:45 am »
I tend to suggest to aim for a day length of 11-13hr and just take whatever A time total fits in there ;) 

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2016, 13:56:05 pm »
Ok thank you!  Ours is ending up a touch longer, about 13.25-13.5.  I've been getting 5:30-ish wake ups and having to nurse her back to sleep because she starts protesting loudly and my sons room is next door.  Here is what our day is, yesterday was the first day I got a 2h45m morning A time...

Wake 6:30
A (2.45)
S 1 9:15-10:45
A 2.20
S 1:05-2:25 (couldn't extend yesterday so ended up being (30 mins)
A 2.20
S 4:45-5:15
A 2.20
S 7:45
Wakes at 3 am for night feed and again at around 5:30/5:45, nurse back to sleep in rocker and sleeps another hour.

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2016, 16:21:23 pm »
She went back down much easier after each early morning wake up today and was able to handle the 2.45 better today!  Still fell asleep within one minute of putting her in crib tho!

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2016, 13:18:18 pm »
Ok we had company last night and she was a little OS when I put her to bed and took a while to fall asleep, 2h52m.
 But she never did her usual wake up after 30-40 minutes!  She broke out of her swaddle at 2 but my hubby APOP'd with the paci and kept her asleep till 3 and I fed her then.  She went back down easy and woke at 6! I gave her the paci and she fell right back to sleep!   So maybe she needs more time between last nap and bed time?  Which means maybe I need to push the am wake time to 3 hours as quickly as possible and just do 2 naps??? 😁

Offline FPT23

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2016, 21:08:51 pm »
Hi! Sorry there has been many posts since I last wrote!

But skimming through the last posts you've made, yes that first A time is SUUUUUUUPER short. 1.45 is very little. Our LOs are the same and mine is at 2.45 first A time. Of course all vary. But yes u need to push that first nap.

Right now our babies are starting to transition to 2 naps a day. But in order to do that your A times need to increase slowly and eventually push out that last CN of the day. Hopefully naps get longer for you now too with the A increase. It's really a process. Mine recently began fighting the CN but some days he still needs it so I have to nurse to sleep or go take him on a stroll. Doesn't really matter how so long as I don't end up with a super long A time to BT which can happen. It is a tricky time for them right now! Some days you need the CN but they don't want it, and others the day went well and no CN was needed. Baby needs to have at least 3hr A times to get rid of the CN and so little by little build up to it.

Hope this helps! Xo
Fabi

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2016, 21:14:53 pm »
Hi!  We're also at 2.45, I might have written 1.45 somewhere by accident.  Based on last night tho I bumped it up a bit today and she slept 1h15m for first nap without me having to extend! Woohoo!  Just got a 3 hour A time before nap 2 so we'll see how she does!  Thinking/hoping today will be our first 2 nap day!  Fingers crossed!

Offline FPT23

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2016, 22:12:40 pm »
Yes as they reach 6 mths they are closer to 3 hr A

Yeah u wrote 1.45 baha sorry!!

Awesome on the naps! :)
Fabi

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2016, 01:44:31 am »
Pleased to announce we had our first two nap day! She'll be 6 months next week. No extensions needed for nap 1 for three days in a row with an A time of 3 hours.  YAYYYY!  Still had to extend second nap but succeeded and went down easy at bed time.  Whew!  We'll see how the night goes. We had lots of NW last night but yesterday was a very messy and OT day so fingers crossed tonight will be good! Thanks for the support!

Offline FPT23

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2016, 03:57:20 am »
Yay!!! Happy news :D
Fabi

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2016, 17:14:22 pm »
Thank you!  Night did not go so great!  She woke after 40 mins (typical) but took a bit to get back down whereas before shed usually go right back to sleep with the paci.  I woke up at 3:30 and she was laying there wide awake and quiet. No idea how long she's been awake.  I waited 15 mins till she started fussing and then went in to nurse her. She was restless and took some time to settle down. She slept on and off while she nursed and I finally got her back in the crib asleep at 5 am.  I woke at 6 and she was wide awake, no idea how long she'd been awake.  I was so tired that I just nursed her back to sleep and she slept till 7:15 on me.
Here was our EASY yesterday:
Woke 6:10
A 3 hrs
S 910-1045
A 3 hrs
S 145-330 had to resettle at 30 mins, took 8 mins to settle down
A 3 hrs
S 6:30 pm
Wondering if she's just getting used to the A times or if something else is causing the difficulty getting her back down at 3??? Also wondering if the second A time needs to be tweaked to get her to sleep through but she's already falling asleep as we take our pre-nap walk!

Offline FPT23

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2016, 19:14:20 pm »
Well you mentioned she had been OT so that probably affected her night.

According to your easy- it's very possible she's OT from all the A time pushing you did. They are all at 3hrs but she just started working up to that. You wouldn't want to push every A time to 3hrs as she's not used to it and you will get an OT baby. What works for US is when he starts short napping (40/45 UT) the next day I push 15 at whatever nap he shortened. It tends to be the morning one for us. He seems to prefer long mornings (many don't but it depends your LO) ...so when he starts giving me UT naps, I push 15 mins (because he can handle 15 well) ....if he takes a good nap, the next A time still remains as usual. After he's adjusted to his new morning A time, I gradually (about a week later) push the second A time but not a full 15 (since he hadn't short napped the second nap) but 5/10.

You need to push her gently. It can help avoid OT
Fabi

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2016, 21:41:27 pm »
So funny, it's so hard for me to see the forest through the trees! It makes perfect sense that she's OT! She was resisting the a time of 2.5 hours and giving me short naps and not resettling so I guess I should have pushed to 2.45 instead of 3 right away.  I just didn't want our day to be too short!  Since she did semi-ok, I'm dropping A times maybe 5 minutes today and going forward and hoping she adjusts in a few days time.  Thanks for the insight!

Offline FPT23

« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2016, 19:58:42 pm »
Haha it's ok it happens!

Yes and only work with 1 A time... For a few days... Once she's adjusted, and takes a good long nap, try to extend the next A time by 10 mins/15 (depending what your LO can handle. DS1 could not handle OT well, and DS2 handles it better. Extending was always a bit more challenging with DS1 too) ...for a few days, etc. it really works great when you progressively help them. Avoids crazy meltdowns and tough settling at naps- all thaaaaat!

At this age many are still transitioning from 3-2... So there will be days that you will need to squeeze a CN and wake her after 20-30 mins. It's tricky especially b/c they also need it but are growling out of it so they resist it. I have to nurse him to take it (when we need it) or a stroller/car ride. Not always does he need a CN and makes it to a good BT, but it's not always the case. Eventually you will reach the right A time and that CN will be a thing of the past.

Im barely at 2.45 A time.. As I mentioned, he was doing 2.5 at all A times until he consistently short napped me his morning nap for 3-4 days... That's when I increased ONLY that A time for the next few days and we were back to long naps. Having increased his morning, the next A time remained 2.5.... And now, he takes about 10-15 mins to nap his second nap... Rather than sleep right away as usual with his 2.5 A time... So, I increased and try and have him asleep by 2.45 now. So, I'm extending his second A time now ;) , see what I mean?

Good luck :)
Fabi