Author Topic: How quick did your one nap move out once you got there?  (Read 1541 times)

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
How quick did your one nap move out once you got there?
« on: March 09, 2015, 21:14:49 pm »
We've been pushing to one nap since the end of January, but it still isn't fully consistent.  We inevitably have an EW at some point and have to do two naps to get through the day.  Most of our one naps are between 1.5-2hr, but if he's in the car he'll often sleep 2hr+ (if he falls asleep on the way home from somewhere, I can't transfer, so leave the car running, halfway out of the garage ::) :-[).

Anyway, in the past month or so, if he wakes 30-60min into the nap, I can often resettle and he'll go back down and finish.  But now, three times in the last week, I haven't been able to resettle him, so I'm wondering if it's time to push the nap a little later.  We started at 11:30am (about 5hr A) and several naps have started at 11:45-12 lately.  The time change here happened this weekend, so he woke at 7:15 this morning.  I put him down for 12:30 (the old 11:30) and it took him a bit of time to settle (he usually goes right down) and then woke after an hr and I couldn't resettle. :-\ It seems I'm always a step or two behind with him, so I'm wondering if I should push him later.

He's about to cut a tooth, so I guess that could be part of it, but I'm so tired of resettling (often have to do it a few times a night as well) and I would really like to get a consistent nap.  With my other two, I'd be thinking OT, but I never know with him. :-[

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
Re: How quick did your one nap move out once you got there?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 12:34:50 pm »
Following Katie as we are in the same mess some days.

I have no option to go as we have a nap in the nursery and it's set at 11:45/12:00. I plan to stick to set BT of 7pm even if he has a shorter nap and hope he will click. The nursery said they plan to move him to another group and nap differently at 2yo - hahaha:). So here, another 1 year on nap at 12pm:D:D:D.
~Marta

Offline katie80

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 20:43:08 pm »
Well, I think that works for some kids. Claire was not much of a napper and a bit touchy with sleep (EWd a lot when she was teething), and basically napped at 12pm for a year and a half. It only moved to 12:30-1pm when she was done teething and got older (probably around 2.5-3yrs).

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 21:20:45 pm »
Both H and L's naps moved out to 12.30 (5hr30-6hrs after WU) pretty quickly, within a month of being on one nap. But both are LSN (or low day sleep needs) and could easily handle it.  The only caveat being H has been ill a few times this winter and that brought her nap earlier again (poss with a v short 5-10 min pm CN so she could last til BT if needed). But now we avoid pm CNs as they play havoc with BT. Just do EBT instead if needed.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline katie80

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 00:02:02 am »
Thanks, Cath. Did/do you keep to pretty much a 12hr day still?

Offline cath~

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 06:58:14 am »
Yes, still 12hrs for H. Occasionally 30 mins more or less depending on nap.

I think it was more like 12.5hrs on average for L and she had a touch longer nap (H is teething so we're getting short naps this last couple of weeks).
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 08:32:01 am »
Js nap stayed at 11.45ish from 12/13 months to 18 months.  After that on home days it gradually moved out to 12/12.30/1/1.30 before dropping completely by 29 months, though she continued to nap (or refuse to nap ::) ) at around 11.45/12 at nursery 3 days a week throughout.  The nursery naps were almost universally short though so probably meant she was more willing to nap earlier on other days.  If she was home every day I suspect nap would have been pushed later more quickly.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 10:48:04 am »
Our nap moved fairly quickly, I think. By the time he was 18mo he was napping at around 14:00 for 1.5-2hrs, and he started to drop the nap at 2yo.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 10:49:55 am »
Oh Helen - did you worked on 7-7 routine?
~Marta

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 10:57:18 am »
No chance - he is very LSN and was routinely up at 5/5.30/6am. Bed was around 7.30pm
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline BstnMelody

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 12:42:19 pm »
How old is he?

With hindsight, I recognize that my daughter's waking in the middle of a nap was almost always under-tired (with the exception of the first few months, when it was definitely undertired). In addition, EW for her is also a sign that she's needs a later nap. So it may be that he just needs more awake time.

My DD is LSN, which I actually didn't realize for quite a while. She started the transition to one nap at around 7 months. Transition took till almost 13 months. We started with one nap at 11:30, and then to avoid overtired during the transition, I would often give her a catnap around 5pm (capping at 30-45 minutes), and APOP if I needed to. Once that became too difficult to manage, I knew she was ready for only 1 nap, and we moved it to noon. Once we were on 1 nap at noon, we were pushing it back by 15 minutes every 1-2 weeks. Then around 16 months, she was napping consistently at 1pm for several months. At 22 months, she's now napping at 2pm for 2 hours most of the time, but sleeping for 1.5 hours every few days, so I think I'll see the 1-0 happen in the next 2-4 months. We're on 13 hour day, waking at 7am, bedtime at 8pm.

So generally, to answer your question, I found moving the nap out happened very quickly and very often.

I hope that's helpful!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 12:57:17 pm »
Our nap moved out slower but only because she went to one nap super early...I think we started at 11:30 maybe and now we are at 1:15/1:30 and pushing later (but only a 45 min nap). Our days have been 13 hours always, for whatever reason she is programmed for bed at 8 pm and wakes normally at 7 (except this week because I am working full time she has been pulling ew hence moving the nap later!).
Heidi

Offline katie80

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 14:38:21 pm »
Thanks, ladies.  He was up at 6:20ish this morning, so we're right back to where we were before the time change. :-\ :( I guess I need to start keeping a more detailed log again for a bit and see if I can figure anything out.  I don't really care what the nap and night length is, I just want it to be consistent, but it seems to move constantly.  I must be doing something wrong... I feel like such a BW failure with him. :-[ :'(

Offline katie80

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 19:30:17 pm »
Put him down at 12pm (well he fell asleep a bit before), woke after an hr again, but I was able to resettle... for only 15min. :-\ His second top lateral incisor seems to be cutting today, so maybe he's just uncomfortable. He had a restless NW last night, which is usually teeth, I think.

Guess I'll try to keep the nap at noon for now and see what happens. Thanks again and sorry for being Debby downer. Today I'm just sick of trying to figure out sleep! >:(

Offline cath~

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 20:01:44 pm »
(((Hugs))) Katie.

It's so tricky isn't it. I'm all over the place with H's sleep too, if it's any consolation. I keep telling myself that once her molars are through I'll tackle the NWs again...

I think when there's teething though everything is a bit wonky and it's very difficult to get any consistency.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old