Author Topic: How can I help my baby sleep through the night  (Read 1197 times)

Offline mariacoops

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
How can I help my baby sleep through the night
« on: March 08, 2007, 21:06:50 pm »
I'm new to this site and the baby whisperer techniques in general.  I bought my first book at the weekend and just wish I would have known about it when I was pregnant with my little boy, Stephen.  He is my first baby.  All in all I haven't done too bad with routines but I have done some accidental parenting and his naps aren't the best in the world but on the whole hes a really good baby (text book I'd say). He's on solid food and eats really well and is a generally happy baby. He also has 6 teeth and is 10 months old on Saturday (10th).  Our only problem is he wakes almost every hour once he goes to bed (7.30pm) and can maybe sleep one 3hr stretch between 12-3am (or there abouts). He's never slept right through the night but was getting there but once his teeth started coming through (there has been no break in between each tooth) its got worse and worst till we are are in the situation we are in now.  He's not awake for more than a minute, just to put his dummy back in really but as its every hour I'm not sleeping good at all. Just the past week or so he's more grumpy in the day than he's ever been as I said he' s a real happy go lucky baby and normally happy all the time, I don't know if hes getting the separation anxiety I've dreaded or some kind of milestone is coming up?  I feel me and Stephen deserve a good nights sleep and hope someone out there can help us?

Offline AnnaBenwell

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 13
Re: How can I help my baby sleep through the night
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 21:10:30 pm »
Can't really help! But i to wish i found the book a lot earlier! Have you tried posting your routine on the easy boards? They are great over there. Oh and hello and welcome to the site, hope you get some help soon. Anna
Mum 2 three Boys Jack, Sam and Harry

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 22:52:58 pm »
Teething is really rough on sleeping, especially when they're one after another like that. Have you given him anything for it at night?

Can you please post your current routine? It's hard to offer any advice without knowing what's going on. There's a sticky at the top of the forum called "please read before posting" with some questions in it that would be helpful for you to answer.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 23:17:54 pm »
If like you said he is only awake a minute for you to put the dummy in & he wakes every hour... well he has the Dummy as a prop & he needs that to sleep.
You could either try to teach him to find it himself... leave lots in the cot or you need to wean it.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 01:34:07 am »
I would also like to see your routine as well as the questions Jessica mentioned.  At first glance I tend to agree with Katet about the paci.
Myia
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline mariacoops

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 07:48:14 am »
I agree with the prop idea.  Our routine is as follows:

7.00am wake and breakfast
7.30am till 9.30am/10.00am (depending) Activity
10.00am till 11am (sometimes only 1/2 hr but generally 45mins) Naps
11.00 till 12 noon Activity
12 noon Lunch
12.30pm till 3pm Activity
3pm/4pm (sometimes only 1/2 hr but generally 45mins) Naps
4pm till 5pm Activity
5pm Dinner
5.30pm till 6.30pm Activity
6.30pm Bath
7pm Wind down with Bottle and storey
7.30pm Bed

This is not an Easy routine, this is something we have done ourselves, as I said I only found out about EASY a few days ago.  Not sure how to begin EASY so late on?  I also took a note of his waking times and it seems that he wakes when his sleep cycles is at its shallowest, its like rather than sleeping the 45 mins,come out of deep sleep and then goes back in it he wakes instead needs the paci then carries on his sleep pattern. Any idea how to stop this?  As for this teething if its bad we give him medicine and teething powders as required.  Can't see the light at the end of the tunnel or though I have been promised its there!  Can I just say how nice it is knowing there is people like you to listen to me and help, just that fact helps me feel better.

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 11:59:50 am »
The main thing I notice here is nap trouble.  He's not getting enough day time sleep which can certainly disturb his night time sleep.  Bed time is good.  EASY does follow the eat after sleep order.  I would pick on thing to work on first.  In my opinion in would be better naps.  Putting him on Easy may help that situation.  There are thing you can do to extend naps, for instance W2S.  After you get on Easy and lenthen naps I would worry about the paci, however you may find that better day sleep solves the problem at night.  :)  That would make life a little easier huh?

Hope that helps.
Cute picture by the way.  Beautiful eyes!
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 16:57:16 pm »
I agree!
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o