Author Topic: Has a side preference  (Read 1154 times)

Offline emyka

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Has a side preference
« on: March 30, 2006, 14:00:59 pm »
Hi!

DD#2 is still 100% BF at 6 mos but has recently started showing a  clear preference for my right breast  :o . For example: if I present my left breast she'll suck a bit, lift her head, look around and after about 2 minutes start fussing at which point I offer the right one and she goes right ahead with a proper feed - what's this all about  ??? And more to the point what can and should I do about it? DD#1 was BF for 7.5 mos and I don't remember this kind of thing.

Thanks for any advice, ideas you can give

Emma

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
Re: Has a side preference
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 14:13:08 pm »
Its amazingly common for babies to have a favourite boob  :) My DS always likes the right best but he has never protested to the left to the point were it has been a problem. You may find she is just showing some new found independence and she'll pass the faze in a week or so. If however you do find you cant cope with her behaviour when you offer the left many mothers quite succesfully feed exclusively from one breast. I'd only give more recommendations and advice about this if after a few weeks you feel you have no chioce left. Persevere offering the left boob as normal for a week longer and see what happens, make sure it is always in a dark quiet room, this seemed to help with my DS, no distractions. You might want to try pumping to maintain supply in the left breast. Keep us posted  :)
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06

kgmf123

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 14:20:18 pm »
Hello Emma,

I have the same thing with my dd. With my dd I can only assume that the right boob is easier for her to feed from. However if I feed her whilst I am lying down or during the df she is less fussy. I can always pump more from the RHS too.
Strange,

Kat x

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 18:13:21 pm »
You would be suprised at how often this topic pops up on this board, so you are not alone.

I remember one mom saying to change the hold on the other side so it feels more like your other.  Do you know what i mean?  Instead of craddle, try football?  I'm certain there are other great tips too.  Let us know if you need them.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline emyka

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 18:24:12 pm »
Thanks for your answers  ;D I'm going to try a different hold & see if that changes things.

I was worried about the supply issue particularly as I don't have a pump but for now it seems to be OK.

Do you think the fact that I'm more comfortable when she's on the RHS has any influence?

X
Emma

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 18:41:47 pm »
Definatly! I quite often end up with a sore nipple on the LHS and it has never felt 'right' They must pick up on things like that  :)
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06