Author Topic: 10mth old off milk?  (Read 968 times)

Offline lwwho

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 09, 2006, 09:14:43 am »
Hi.

My DD just turned 10mth old today. She's been on solids since she was 5.5mth and now eats 3 solid meals like a trooper. Trouble is, in the past couple of weeks, she's just gotten less and less interested in breastmilk. She started refusing the breast, so we gave her EBM in a bottle which she took for a few days, but now she will not take anything more than 3oz from the bottle... in fact, usually, it's a great achievement if she takes more than 2oz! So... we tried to spoonfeed her the milk but she prefers blowing bubbles into the milk and thinks it's awfully funny too! She used to drink about 20oz of milk a day but now, she barely hits 10oz! Any one with a similar problem? I know that most of BB's nutrients have to come from milk till 1yr of age, so I'm at an utter loss as to what to do! Any ideas? Thanks!

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: 10mth old off milk?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 11:08:06 am »
I haven't had the experience.  So sorry things are tough for you right now.  THis may be a nursing strike (other things are much more interesting!)

From Kellymom.com:
Nursing Strikes

When babies abruptly stop nursing, it's a nursing strike - not weaning. Babies rarely wean on their own before 18-24 months, and self-weaning is almost never abrupt.

Will baby nurse while asleep or just waking up? This is usually one of the best times to try. You also might try nursing lying down or while walking around. See also the tips at the top of this page for persuading baby to nurse.

As long as baby is not nursing as often as before, you'll want to express milk to maintain your supply, stay comfortable, and reduce the risk of plugged ducts and mastitis.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html  Scroll all the way to the bottom for some more helpful links

HTH

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months