Author Topic: She wants more! When to stop 5 month old?  (Read 889 times)

Offline graced

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Grace, the cutest fusion baby!
    • quest for cuteness
She wants more! When to stop 5 month old?
« on: May 27, 2009, 14:10:08 pm »
I introduced my 5 month old to solids last week (rice cereal at first last week, mixed with a little pear puree yest and today). I thought we'd just take it very slow since she's still young. I knew she was ready to start. I couldn't even eat in front of her anymore she was so curious and would drool all over, and I just generally could not satisfy her.

SO anyway, she gobbles up the cereal and pear like she's starving. She gets impatient between spoonfuls, reaching out with her hands and opening her mouth, sometimes even crying. Tonight before bed I finally had to cut her off because I was afraid of overfeeding her.

I don't know exactly how much she ate...I think about two tablespoons of rice cereal plus two cubes of the pear puree. Too much? She would have eaten more! I didn't know she could eat that much! Then she emptied both breasts... :o

Offline Mimi 2

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 167
Re: She wants more! When to stop 5 month old?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 20:53:39 pm »
When are her milk and solids feeds?
Cherishing the moments with the
Ballerina Princess (Oct '04) & Wiggly Monkey (Jul '07)

Offline b0nni3

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 21:33:48 pm »
i'm sure you know that solids shouldn't replace milk, so as long as she is drinking plenty of milk i would say just let her eat! you might consider limiting solids to just once a day to make sure she is getting plenty of milk.

My LO was like that too when he started solids at 5.5 mos - I almost considered 'de-weaning' him but then he caught a bad cold and started teething, and flat out refused solids for about 2.5 weeks. we've just slowly started getting into it again. he'll eat a jar of baby food at dinner but often refuses solids at breakfast/lunch. i guess what i'm trying to say is - milk should be primary diet, and don't be surprised if the LO regresses a little bit with solids, and after that, just let her eat if she's happy to do so!
Mama to T (Oct '08) and J (Mar '11)!

Offline graced

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • quest for cuteness
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 00:18:04 am »
When are her milk and solids feeds?

The problem is it's been all over the place because I just finished reading BW and just starting to get her on EASY. I was feeding on demand before and she was eating every 2 hours -- driving me nuts...that's why I'm shooting for EASY now.
I was doing solid feeds around 11 am and then before bed, around 7pm

Offline graced

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • quest for cuteness
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 00:20:19 am »
i'm sure you know that solids shouldn't replace milk, so as long as she is drinking plenty of milk i would say just let her eat! you might consider limiting solids to just once a day to make sure she is getting plenty of milk.

My LO was like that too when he started solids at 5.5 mos - I almost considered 'de-weaning' him but then he caught a bad cold and started teething, and flat out refused solids for about 2.5 weeks. we've just slowly started getting into it again. he'll eat a jar of baby food at dinner but often refuses solids at breakfast/lunch. i guess what i'm trying to say is - milk should be primary diet, and don't be surprised if the LO regresses a little bit with solids, and after that, just let her eat if she's happy to do so!

Yes, I think she's getting plenty of milk and shows no sign of not wanting it. Maybe I just have to learn to read her cues when it comes to solids. This morning I gave her the same cereal and pear and she lost interest after a few bites, so I just put it away.