Author Topic: Started solids  (Read 808 times)

Offline Rileysmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
Started solids
« on: June 14, 2009, 01:25:46 am »
I started giving our LO solids about a week and a half ago, and am just wondering how quickly I should be increasing the amounts of solids he is taking.  He took to them right away, and is really enjoying himself.  He is already having 2 tbsp for breakfast, and 3 tbsp for lunch, and I will be introducing a new food tomorrow.  How fast should I be increasing the amount of solids he is getting (am I increasing too quickly)? 

Also, we started a new food 3 days ago, and today our LO got a bit of a diaper rash.  Could this be related to the new food, and should I cut it out for awhile?   :-\

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 01:33:40 am »
I don't see any reason why you can't try offering a bit more if you think he will enjoy it.  Just keep an eye on his milk intake as you want that to be the main source of nutrition.  If he starts taking less milk, then ease off of the solids for a bit.  My DS had no problem keeping up with his milk as I was increasing solids.  I think as they grow and become more active they use more energy so have no problem eating more.  I don't think there's any real guidelines as to how often you should be increasing how much solids he takes, just follow his lead and like I said keep an eye on the milk.

The diaper rash could be a reaction to the solids, what I would do is stop giving him that food for a week and see if it clears up.  Then try introducing it again, and you should notice if the rash comes back once the food is re-introduced.

HTH :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline robot

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • my cheeky scamp
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 18:34:20 pm »
Hi
I've just started my LO on solids too. It seems to be a bit of a mindfield.
He's 5.5 months old and has taken to eating solids like a duck to water. I've been giving him solids at breakfast and lunch. I started with just a teaspoon and then 2 but he'll eat a whole banana at breakfast and would probably have more. He'll eat 8 teaspoons of sweet potato or other veg. I've now started to give him some at tea, he's just eaten another 9 teaspoons of veg. He never seems to be full! He still finishes all his bottles of formula, 7oz each time.
Do I just keep feeding him veg or fruit until he's full? He's already on aptimal hungry baby formula.
Thanks

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 18:44:34 pm »
Robot, I'm sure you could keep feeding him as much as he likes, but I can't honestly say that I know if there's such thing as too much.  It's great that he enjoys eating though!  My DS likes eating, but he doesn't eat large quantities so I don't really know what to tell you!  I'm sure you'll use your best judgement.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline robot

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • my cheeky scamp
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 21:37:20 pm »
Hi Martina,
Thanks for your answer. I'll keep feeding him and I'll see what happens!  :)