Author Topic: Sicky baby still sicky on solids!  (Read 1005 times)

Offline nelliestar

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Growing Up
Sicky baby still sicky on solids!
« on: June 16, 2009, 14:20:12 pm »
Hi Everyone!
My DS will be 6mths next Monday and 2 weeks ago at clinic weighed 20 pds. I posted a couple of months ago on another thread about the fact that I was worried about how much he was being sick. Tne conclusion was that he was just a "happy spitter" and he was still gaining weight well. He has always had problems with being sick since he was tiny. A lot of people said to me that when he starts solids it will probably improve but this hasn't been the case! He has been on solids a few weeks and is enjoying them but is still sick. I feed him 30 mins after his bottle, making sure first that he has burped and usually he will have brought some milk back up. Should I burp him after the solids too do you think? I know you will probably say go to see your Health Visitor but really I have more faith in you BW buddies than her! It doesn't seem to distress him when he's sick - it just distresses me! I have given him slightly less solids in the last 2 days to see if it makes a difference but it hasn't. I was worried we were overfeeding him.
It is getting me down a bit as he has to wear a big bib at all times and I have to change him soooo many times a day and go through ridiculous amounts of muslins/cloths etc and when he meets new people or if we go somewhere he is getting passed round a bit, he will be sick on someone guaranteed!!
In all other areas he is very healthy and thriving - rolling and back again, sitting with support etc, STTN.
Any help/advice/words of wisdom?
Thanks,
N xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bram Robert Reilly Con Fitzsimmons...Born 22/12/08
Angel/textbook....now with added spirit!
Our Happy Little Monkey xxxxx

Offline nelliestar

• Showing Appreciation 7
  • Growing Up
Re: Sicky baby still sicky on solids!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 17:21:52 pm »
Forgot to say DS is still on number 2 (3mth) teat as I am worried if he has a faster one he will drink faster and bring more back up! Tried number 3 but he didn't seem to like it - choking etc x

Offline JJshappymum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 20:09:30 pm »
HI!

Sorry you are going through this! Considering he is growing well both in weight and developmentally is a good sign.

In my experience, this might be due to eating too quickly or too much. Does he suffer from reflux? Another cause might be anatomical and for that you really would have to visit your health advisor as she can administer some exams which will determine the possible cause (Lower Esophageal Sphincter, Piloric Sphincter?).

He will probably outgrow this, but I understand how distressing it is for you now!

Hugs

Offline nelliestar

• Showing Appreciation 7
  • Growing Up
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 20:29:38 pm »
Thank you! He doesnt have reflux no. I looked it up and he didn't have any of the symptoms mentioned. He is a very contented thrower-upper indeed! We feed him his bottle in 3 parts stopping to wind each time and I feed him his solids slowly too - so much so that he gets frustrated with me sometimes - " come on mum hurry it up please!" Lol. Thanks for your response xxxx

Offline LucyA

• Showing Appreciation 204
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 20:36:29 pm »
Both of mine spat up quite a lot til they were much closer to a year old. Neither of them had reflux, both just happy spitters. They really did just need to grow out of it. It's annoying while it continues, but it can just be due to their tiny digestive sytems - similar to the way a big coughing fit can trigger vomiting. DD still gets that occasionally.
Hang in there!!
Lucy

Offline nelliestar

• Showing Appreciation 7
  • Growing Up
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 09:13:26 am »
Thanks everyone for your help! This morning DS had a 7 oz bottle and just brought a small amount back then later had baby cereal and milk and WAS NOT SICK AT ALL !!??! Usually I put fresh fruit puree in cereal but didn't today - coincidence? Who knows? Happy mum at the mo xxxx

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 09:17:17 am »
Hi there

Alex has been like this- he does have slight reflux but not medicated, it's kept under control with special thick formula
Anyway, he's always been a sicker- like you, I can't believe the amount of washing he generates  ::)

I am happy to report that all of a sudden just in the last 2 weeks he has stopped (and this has coincided with him finally sleeping well at night)- he's starting to crawl and is sitting well, and I think that being upright most of the time has made the difference. I guess it is true that they do finally outgrow it...
Hang on in there!
]

Offline nelliestar

• Showing Appreciation 7
  • Growing Up
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 13:57:04 pm »
Thank you! DS was sick when I got him up from nap so it hasn't stopped yet unfortunately. Will hang in there - thanks again xxxx