Author Topic: Should I interrupt solids?  (Read 743 times)

Offline JJshappymum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: June 16, 2009, 20:33:26 pm »
Hello,

My lo is 6 mo and we started him on solids about a week ago. He was tasting things here and there already 2 weeks ago but this week is when I really have been more consistent with the solids. We started on pears, then apples and bananas with no problems. He wasn't really eating, just taking one smidgen and refusing the rest. Then I introduced rice cereal, carrots and peaches.

I have noticed that for the past 2-3 days, he has been really gassy and hasn't been sleeping well. When he bf, he bears down as if he was trying to make a bowel movement for the entire time! Sometimes he squirms (while still at the breast!) and releases some air. As soon as he stops eating, he seems fine. His bowel movements haven't changed really, except maybe an extra one compared to his usual. Once or twice the color was different than usual, green-ish instead of orange-y (sorry for the description!  :-[)

The problem is, I don't know when this started because it happened so gradually. When I eat fruit, he sucks on the piece that I am eating but then makes a sound like it burns his mouth  ???. This happened with a banana today and a baked peach yesterday. Today I tried introducing barley cereal and didn't give him any of the past foods and he still had the same symptoms.

I am worried because even though when he eats he seems satisfied and doesn't always want the second side (I single side feed), he hasn't put on any weight this month!

My mom blames teething because he cut his first tooth last week but I still am confused as what to do next.

Any suggestions? Has this happened with anyone else?

Thanks!

Offline Texomamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: Should I interrupt solids?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 02:14:33 am »
When I started my LO on solids (at 4 mo), I stuck with cereals (first rice, then mixed grain) for the first two months and then added some veggies at 6 mo and fruits soon thereafter.  My schedule was according to my Pedi's suggestion.  Perhaps you can try with cereal only for a short period of time and see if things improve.  Also, it does not surprise me that he is not sleeping well.  Milestones like introducing solids (not to mention the teeting) are notorious for causing sleep interruptions.

Offline Mimi 2

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 167
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 02:25:08 am »
Some solids can cause stomach & sleep troubles for some babies.  I would ease off on the solids and just stick to the ones that agree with him.  Don't worry about taking a break for a few days even.  Some moms follow the 3-4 days wait when introducing new food.  Are you doing the same?  BM/formula is still much more nutritional for brain and body growth so don't feel like you have to rush through all the food groups.  Follow his lead.  If he is not interested in eating it then try again some other time.

If he is not gaining weight, I would be more inclined to feed him bm than solids.  Solids is more filling thus making him feel more satisfied but most solids at this stage do not compare to the benefits (calories, vitamins, minerals & fat) of bm/formula.
Cherishing the moments with the
Ballerina Princess (Oct '04) & Wiggly Monkey (Jul '07)

Offline JJshappymum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 09:47:34 am »
Thanks for your replies!

I have been feeding him just barley cereal for the past two days and things have improved. He seemed more interested in it a few days ago but now that the novelty has worn off, he is refusing this cereal too.

He is exclusively bf which makes increasing his intake a little tricky. I am going to wait a few more days and see how it goes.