Author Topic: What order? solids or BF 1st? and how much?  (Read 1227 times)

Offline catlicious

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
What order? solids or BF 1st? and how much?
« on: June 02, 2010, 18:26:01 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I'm just starting to feed my LO solids and I'm continuing to BF of course.  I've been doing a lot of reading and I'm wondering:

1) Why is it better to BF first, then feed solids?  If we want to introduce solids, is it not better to have them eat the new food 1st and then top up with milk?  If I should BF 1st, how do you know when to stop so he'll still have room for solids?

2)  I got a guideline from my doctor of how much solids to feed per day, like 2-4T (tablespoon) 2x/day of cereal and 4-6T/day of veggies. My husband is wondering why we can't just feed him all the veggies he wants until our LO tells us he's full for that feeding?

3)  So far we've introduced rice cereal and pureed squash.  And we only give him one or the other at a feeding.  Can I feed him a little bit of both at the same feeding.  If not yet, when should I start?

thanks in advance!
Cathy

Offline AngelaF

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Re: What order? solids or BF 1st? and how much?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 18:30:29 pm »
Not sure about all the answers, but I know that for the first 12 months milk is the main source of nutrients for babes. The food we give them now is really more like practice, so we don't want them filling up on that and missing all the good stuff from the milk.

As for the measurements the dr gave you, maybe it's to make sure they don't eat too much and it affects their next milk feeding? not really sure though.

I'm getting ready to start with my DS and even though I did it two years ago with my twins, I've forgotten everything!

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 19:06:03 pm »
To help with the hunger feeling, if you wait an hour after bf to give the solids, it will increase the hunger a bit.  As PP said, BM is still the main source of calories at this stage, so you want to ensure your lo is getting all the BM and not filling up on solids.

As far as quantity, again, foods are experimental at this stage and you want to ensure that he is not taking too much so he is hungry for the next BF.  The quantity your doctor suggested is just a guideline.... use your instinct and let your baby tell you when he is full.  As soon as he turns away, stop the feed.

You can give 2 feeds at a sitting.  I used to mix new foods into the cereals (as neither of my kids liked really liquidy solids).  Just be sure to allow 3-4 days between introducing new foods to watch for allergies.

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Tay

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 13:47:00 pm »
As the pps said, the milk feeds are still the main source of nutrition, so what I done with mine was to just keep the same routine in relation to BFs and in between introduce solids. First at breakfast, then lunch, then dinner. And everytime I introduce a new food I try to do it at lunchtime (rather than dinner), in case I get a bad reaction at least it's daytime.

In relation to amounts: you give your LO whatever he wants, but if it starts affecting the BFs then you can reduce it a little bit (again because at this stage it's more important to have proper BFs than solids).
xxx

Offline catlicious

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 17:20:45 pm »
This is great!

Thanks so much everyone!  It give me a better sense of how to introduce solids!  Right now I'm introducing it an hour after BF, we'll see how that goes.

Thanks and take care,
Cathy

Offline Tay

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 22:43:41 pm »
Good luck!
xxx