Author Topic: 8 month old waking 2x a night  (Read 2459 times)

Offline lawell

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
8 month old waking 2x a night
« on: February 09, 2012, 01:29:43 am »
We're having similar issues with our 8 month-old but not as many night wakings - just two usually, but they can be long. We have almost the same EASY as you, but his awake times are longer, so his afternoon nap is 2-4 p.m. (1.5-2 hrs) and he goes to bed after 7:00.

He never really acts tired during the day until nap time, and he goes down for his naps easily and sleeps great. He just wakes up between 10-11 p.m. and around 2 a.m. crying. I BF at the first wake up but try to get him settled at the next one without feeding - sometimes I end up BF again though.

We've wondered if he's really hungry, so we feed him a lot during the day - that may be helpful for you - to give him more solids or push the last meal a little later. He doesn't spit up, and he will always eat. He's been crawling for months and standing up for over a month, so he is incredibly active. Maybe we just have very curious, active boys that want to seeing what's going on even when they're tired!

What are some other ways of soothing in the night besides pu/pd? We try singing and it sometimes works - just curious about other ideas. lj, I'm hoping others will give ideas that will help us both! All the best to you and your LO.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 18:20:45 pm by ZacsMumme »

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: HELP!!8 month old frequent & long NW...sooo much AP
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 07:28:35 am »
Lawell have you tried shh/pat? Or a modified version of it?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline lawell

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: HELP!!8 month old frequent & long NW...sooo much AP
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 14:30:46 pm »
ZacsMumme - We have done some shh/pat or singing with just a little back rub. That does work well some times. Are there other ways you do something similar? I always wonder if we do too much or too little - the balance between soothing and helping but not reinforcing the wake-up to be with us in the middle of the night :-)

Thank for thoughts!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: 8 month old waking 2x a night
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 18:24:43 pm »
That sounds good, all LO are different. Mine like bottom patting and singing quietly. You wantto try to keep you LO in the cot at the NW if you can as well, and reduce the patting or all over time, maybe sing a little bit less or quieter, and reduce the patting to pressure and then just touching your LO.

Does your LO have a paci and/or lovey?
***Sara***

Offline lawell

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 11:07:52 am »
Sorry for my slow response. I work and had a conference this weekend, so I'm not always able to get on here.

Last night was really tough. He went to sleep by 7:30, woke from 9:15-10:15, when I fed him, woke again at 12:30 and 2:30, and then his usual 5:15 up for the day. He doesn't act tired during the day though. He's incredibly active and take two great 1.5-2 hour naps.

We'll keep up with the singing and patting - hope to get him over those 12:30 and 2:30 wakings soon!

Offline lawell

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 11:09:34 am »
Oh, yes, he does have a lovie - gave up the paci for a little blanket a couple of months ago. When he's standing - at every night waking - we lay him back down and give him his lovie.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 22:11:20 pm »
(HUGS) has the standing just started? You may find some of these NW are related to the milestone ;)
***Sara***

Offline lawell

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 01:15:28 am »
He's been standing for over a month, but I do think he's trying new things - like walking around the sides of the crib. I love to see him learn new things - so precious!

We just hope he'll grow out of waking and start to get better rest! Thanks for the hugs.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 07:25:44 am »
Do you mind posting a typical day? You are doing all the right things ;)
I am wondering if our LO needs an A increase or little les day sleep. :-*
***Sara***

Offline lawell

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 19:27:40 pm »
Typical day:
5:30/6:00 wake up (we really try to get him to 6:00 by singing or patting back to sleep when he wakes up at 5:00-5:30)
5:45/6:00 nurses then snuggles and plays
7:00 breakfast then plays
9:00 nap for 1.5-2 hrs.
play time
11:30 nurses (bottle when I'm at work) then plays more
1:00 lunch
2:00 nap for 1.5-2 hrs.
play time
5:30 nurses
6:00/30 dinner
6:45 bath
7:00 bedtime routine and asleep by 7:30
10:00/30 wakes to nurse

We've had one great night - just waking to nurse about 10:00 and then sleeping to 6:00!!! The last couple of nights have been pretty good - just waking with a poopy diaper 1-2 times in the night - is that fairly normal? He poops in the night about half the time.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 19:51:11 pm »
Your routine IMO looks great! He could be having a touch too much day sleep which is affecting his nights. I would try pushing that first nap out a touch to maybe 9.15 and capping it at 1.5hrs and then offer the next nap 3hrs15mins after and cap that at 1.5hours as well. Both are still restorative naps but will hopefully mean the additonal 30mins/1hr that he was getting napping will be added on at night. Alternatively you can try just capping one nap or doing the increase rather than both ;)

You cant do much about the poops unfortunately, maybe try offering dinner earlier? Do you feel at any of the NW that your LO is in discomfort?

***Sara***

Offline lawell

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 02:26:53 am »
Thanks for the nap capping idea! We'll see how tonight goes - especially if he doesn't poop.

Discomfort - I don't think so - he just stands up and cries out at about 2 a.m. most nights. The singing and gently laying him back down with his lovie has been working well and quickly. It would just be great to get him over the initial wake-up.

I'd love advice on stopping the 10 p.m. feeding, too, but will probably not try that until he's over the 2 a.m. wake-up. I'll check other posts to see if others have written about that.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 23:53:09 pm »
How are things going hun?
***Sara***

Offline lawell

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 14:41:15 pm »
Well, he just keeps pooping in the night - other than that he's doing well with the sleeping.

Actually, though, he started having some mucus and blood in his stools a couple of days ago, and we went to the dr. and she confirmed what we thought from reading online - a milk intolerance. He's been off all milk (mainly yogurt and a little supplemental formula) for several days, so we're hoping it will clear out in just a few more days (dr. said maybe a week). He has no other signs of discomfort with the poops or in general with his tummy. It's so scary to see the blood, but we're glad he's feeling good overall and think it will be resolved soon.

Maybe when the milk issue clears out he won't poop quite as much. Either way, he's falling back to sleep after a quick diaper change - last night he had two around 10 pm and 12 am and then slept until 5:20. It seems like when he wakes up in the night he wakes up earlier in the morning (5/5:30), and when he sleep through from about 10/10:30 he goes until 6/6:30.

The only thing we're still not sure about is when or how to stop the 10pm feeding. Right now we're sticking with it, and he really does seem hungry and eats a lot. I'll definitely keep it up until the milk issue is under control in case that's causing him to be hungry.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 17:30:27 pm »
The only thing we're still not sure about is when or how to stop the 10pm feeding. Right now we're sticking with it, and he really does seem hungry and eats a lot. I'll definitely keep it up until the milk issue is under control in case that's causing him to be hungry.
I agree with you here Hun

It can take up to two weeks to she improvement from food group elimination from intollerances so dont fret if its been a week and DS isnt quite 100%
Hugs x
***Sara***

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 17:42:16 pm »
I agree with you here Hun

It can take up to two weeks to she improvement from food group elimination from intollerances so ont fret if TS been a week and DS snt quite 100%
Hugs x
***Sara***

Offline lawell

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 20:04:30 pm »
Thanks! It is frustrating to see several poops that look great and then another one show up with mucus and blood - I want it cleared up so badly! I'm just thankful that he's still been his happy little self and not showing signs of discomfort or anything besides the poop.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 19:16:27 pm »
HUGS - It is so hard :( Hang in there, things are improving so hopefully in time you will see things improve a LOT.
***Sara***

Offline lawell

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 19:23:55 pm »
All clear from the milk issues and sleeping well from 7:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. with one waking to eat about 10 p.m. His dr. said she thinks he really is hungry for that feeding, so keep it up.

All the best!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 23:28:24 pm »
Good work. If he is waking in the morning a bit grumpy you could try to PD a touch earlier to get the longer night...but if he is waking happy just go with it for now :)
***Sara***