Author Topic: 2-1 transition  (Read 653 times)

Offline Renatapogacnik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
2-1 transition
« on: August 13, 2015, 09:31:15 am »
My son is 11months old and i cant put him down for second nap and he is wu at night a lot.
Wu 9am
E 9.30
A
E 12
S13.30-15.00/15.30
E
A
S 18.30-19
E
A
S and goes to NS at 22

I dont know how to put him down earlier, i am doing APOP but he just jabbers and talks.
In the morning he falls asleep by himself and does not wu in general, but in afternoon and for night sleep i have to do APOP otherwise he would be awake for another hour.
I am not sure he can handle only one nap during a day. Is it too confusing for him to have 2 naps on one day and one nap other day?
Any suggestions how to deal with it...

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
Re: 2-1 transition
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 05:56:00 am »
It's very common for LOs to have a mixture of 2 and 1 nap days for a while as they go through the 2-1, so that's absolutely fine if that's the way you think things are going. If you prefer a shorter second nap, then one approach you can take is to set a time for the cn (e.g. asleep by 6.30), and if he takes it at that time you do a slightly later BT, but if he skips it you do an earlier BT.  In the meantime you try pushing that first A so his first nap is a bit later, and keep the cn at the same time.  Gradually he'll take it less and less often until you're fully on one nap.

Sometimes you find a LO needs a little push to drop the cn too. As you're already on 4.5hrs A in the morning you'll probably find you could skip the cn on occasion and do BT at 21.30 instead and see how that goes. If he can handle 4.5hrs A already he's probably ready for 1 nap now, but it's often easier on the LO to do it gradually with a mixture of 2 and 1 nap days.

The other thing you can try is capping the second nap to 20 minutes but keeping BT the same.

There's a bit more info here From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older) and a chat thread here Anyone want to talk about the 2-1 transition #27

:)