Author Topic: ACK!! What type of formula... and other questions...  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Wei

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • The newest members
ACK!! What type of formula... and other questions...
« on: January 29, 2007, 00:17:15 am »
Hi!

Well, will try tomorrow to wean DD from breast to formula but we had one not so good attempt on this past Friday.  Currently am using Good Start, which apparently is one of the sweeter formulas so I thought that would be good to start with since it might be closer to sweetness of breastmilk.  Nope... DD hated it.  I tried for an hour half Friday to give it to her during the lunch feed and as soon as she gulped it down she grimaced and slapped the darn bottle away.  Then, after I tried and tried she finally just shut her mouth and wouldn't open anymore.    :(

Tomorrow, I will hold steadfast though and not give in till she finally eats so I figured I would BF her first thing and then feed her barely any solids so that she'd be extra hungry for a bottle at lunch.  But, if she doesn't take her bottle at all then I'd at least get to feed her a bit of solids so hopefully she won't have night wakings. 

Am I naive thinking that this might help prevent night wakings if she misses her milk at lunch?  She is over 6.5 months old.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion on a brand that they found their DD took quite easily??  Powder formula is less tasty to her than Good Start Canned stuff so i'm kinda limited now....  I'm hoping not to have to express breastmilk to mix with formula as that will be fairly painful and SLOW for me. :(

Well, hopefully she will take formula by the end of this week otherwise I'll have to think about going cold turkey.

Any advice appreciated!!!  :-\

Wei

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: ACK!! What type of formula... and other questions...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 10:50:03 am »
Have you tried giving your lo a bottle of formula first thing in the morning?  This could be when she is at her hungriest and may help a little. 

Also it might help if DP / DH offers her the bottle of formula as then she will not be able to see you and know that she will get the BF if she does not take any of the formula.

Am I naive thinking that this might help prevent night wakings if she misses her milk at lunch?  She is over 6.5 months old.
All lo's are different, she may or may not wake - unfortunatley it cannot be guaranteed.

Here is a link on the different types of formula

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=68010.msg517360#msg517360

HTH's
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Wei

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • The newest members
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 13:14:02 pm »
Thanks for the info.

Yesterday she only took maybe 1/2 oz of formula.  She really doesn't like the taste so I guess that will take some time to get used to.  I tried to offer it to her again but she didn't take so I ended up bf her at lunch.  e tried having Dh do it but she shut her mouth on him too and tried to get away in the bouncy seat. 

I was hoping to continue bf the first and last feed of the day for much longer so I am avoiding giving formula in the mornings.  However, if she doesn't take formula by the end of this week I may just forget the whole thing about bfing her in mornings and try to see if she'll take a bottle.

*sigh*  This is much harder than I thought!

Wei

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 14:05:31 pm »
I had a friend who mixed BM and formula while weaning because lo didn't like formula.  Could you try that?
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 19:39:28 pm »
Hugs, it can be difficult, your lo is just telling you what she is not used to.

It may be worth trying to pump a few oz to mix with the formula to see if that helps.

Offline Wei

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • The newest members
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 13:13:44 pm »
Hi,
Well, I tried to express a bit of bm to mix with formula (no more pump for me so expressing is all I do for now) but she didn't like that either.  So, I just stuck to formula and cut down on solid feed before lunch so that she would be extra hungry.  She did take 2 oz this time so I guess that is an improvement from the 1/2 oz the other day.

Hopefully today she will take more than 2 oz!

Wei

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 18:24:02 pm »
You will get there. Let us know how it's going.
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline Wei

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • The newest members
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 13:10:54 pm »
Yay!!

She took 8 oz yesterday!!  Not much fuss either.  I finally figured out to put everything in smaller bottles... she seems to like it if she can hold her own bottle.  Independent little thing, she is!

Thanks ladies for your help and support!

Wei

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 20:24:38 pm »
Wow that is fantastic news.

Independant indeed.  Your little girl definitely knows what she wants  ;D