Author Topic: Not taking enough milk  (Read 1118 times)

Offline popsey

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 05, 2007, 13:31:32 pm »
My son is 11 months old but was 2 months prem but you would not believe it if you looked at him.  He is 22.5 pounds.  The problem I am finding is that he seems to have cut his milk down a lot in the past few weeks, but he wants to eat solids, he eats loads but would never refuse food when it is on offer, but his milk intake had gone down a lot.

I could understand that he might be full up and not wanting his bottle but the first thing in the morning he really looks like he wants it and has about 4 oz and they does not want anymore but will then eat breakfast later on. 

He routine is like this

7.00 - 7.30 - bottle 7oz but only taking 4oz
8.45 -9.00 - Breakfast, half a slice of toast and one weetabix with 4oz of milk
9.4- 10.00 back to bed
10.45 wake up
12.00 Lunch, which might be something like a beef stew, or chicken casserole 6 tablespoons and then four tablespoons of fruit and a rice cake and little bits or cheese or something and some water
1.00 - sleep
3.00 wake up (he was having a bottle but started not really wanting any so the past week have got rid of it)
4.30 - tea, which might be a vegetables and potatoes, or pasta and a sauce or something which again is about 6 tablespoons then a yoghurt and a small amount of water.
6.30 - 7oz bottle but seems to only want to have about 4oz

Last night I just gave him a small amount of food and a couple of fingers of cheese spread on toast and a yoghurt and he still only wanted 4 oz.  when you show him the milk he gets really excited and drinks it quickly but then pulls away and you try to put it in his mouth and he pulls away.

shimzy

Re: Not taking enough milk
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 13:38:18 pm »
I see that he is also taking 4oz of milk with his weetabix. That does count for his daily milk instake so he is taking 8oz in the morning. Also having a yoghurt with his evening tea as well as his 4oz bottle that he is drinking. Sounds fine to me  :)

Offline popsey

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 16:08:10 pm »
thanks for your comments but is there any reason why he might have dropped his milk, is this the norm?

Offline Southernbelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 20
  • Mom to three beautiful kids!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 17:01:07 pm »
Hi,
It does sound rather normal for this age.  My daughter is doing the same thing.  The more solids they eat, they less they drink.  I think that most peds say that anywhere from 16-24 oz is acceptable and some drink a little less.  If your lo is having yogurt, that would go towards the milk too.  I think that they just realize that they like food at this age and fill up more with it.  My three year old was 29 pounds at one year and now he is only 34.  He only gained 4 pounds in two years.  The weight gain really slows down at one year.  I wouldn't worry too much if you lo is active and happy!
Lora
5 yrs, 3 yrs, 7 months

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
Re: Not taking enough milk
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 21:20:33 pm »
What size teat is your lo using on his bottles?  Do you think he could be bored with the flow?

Is your lo teething - this could aslo be why he is only taking a few oz at a time.  Have you tried any teething gels?
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Southernbelle

• Showing Appreciation 20
  • Mom to three beautiful kids!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 01:51:18 am »
Also, maybe offer some milk in a sippy at random times.  I have started giving my DD a few ounces after waking up from her pm nap.  It acts as a little snack and she usually drinks it willingly.  You lo may be at the phase when he feels too busy to stop and drink.  Drinks on the go help with this.  The nipple flow is a good thought too.
5 yrs, 3 yrs, 7 months