Author Topic: Starting 7-week old on E.A.S.Y. - questions  (Read 777 times)

Offline blueberry7

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Starting 7-week old on E.A.S.Y. - questions
« on: November 27, 2013, 00:38:37 am »
Hello,

I have a 7-week old and would like to start him on EASY.  He is bottle-fed breastmilk and eats approximately every 2-3 hours (100mL).  He does not sleep through the night.  I would like to cluster feed him with feedings at 6, 8 and 10pm, however, he is asleep (probably because he does not want to eat every 2 hours, but wants to eat every 3 hours at that time).  Should I wake him up to feed him at those times?  How do you initially get baby to eat at those times (or within 30 minutes of those times)?  (For example, if baby wakes up at 3am for a feeding, he will likely wake up at 6am (not 7) and the schedule is then thrown off by an hour.  I know the schedule does not need to be exact, but wouldn't it affect the cluster feeding times in the evening?  Do you try to bring baby back to schedule or go with the flow and essentially demand-feed?

Thanks so much!

Offline shannoncorrin

• Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Starting 7-week old on E.A.S.Y. - questions
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 02:14:15 am »
Hello! I'm new too.  My LO is 6 weeks old.  I know everyone is difference but the cluster feedings didn't really work for us because he did not want to be woke to feed. It confused him.  As for starting the next day off, you start the day when you want.  You don't have to be exact.  We don't wake our little guy up to feed MOTN but he usually gets up between 2 -3 and then if he isn't up by 7:30 I wake him day.  It's not going to be real consistent when you first start. You just adjust your day accordingly.  It's tough!  Good luck!

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 13:37:19 pm »
The cluster feeding I would do between the naps. So let's say you have a nap at 15 till 16:30 and then at 17:30 till 18:30 and then it's BT (this is just a thought, it's not how your routine should look like or anything. It's just so I can explain my idea). So you do first CF at 16:30, then at 18:30 and then again at BT, whenever that is for you, say 19:30-20.

When a NF is at 3 and then at 6 (even though few babies have their NF exactly in 3h gaps) then you feed at 6, put back to sleep and then either you let baby wake up by himself or you wake him up in your desired time (allowing a 12h night). Many babies will take a morning feed even if their NF was just an hour or 1.5h before the morning feed. If your LO doesn't want to take the feed then I would let him wake up, have some A time and then feed. So your EASY end up looking like this: AEASAEAS
HTH :)
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline blueberry7

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 20:24:17 pm »
Thanks so much for your replies!