Author Topic: Now 12 months - why o why will she not go to sleep  (Read 2497 times)

Offline wag

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My two loves
Now 12 months - why o why will she not go to sleep
« on: July 04, 2007, 16:38:46 pm »
Hi there

I know I was here before we went on holiday, now 4 teeth later, a couple of good nights but a lot of bad ones.

The probelm is DD goes down for naps ( sometimes in my arms some times still slightly awake when i put here in her cot) but bedtime what a nightmare.  Once down she stays down just problem getting there.

We relax, read a book with daddy after wash and nappy, ( I run to bin and clean up)  then daddy does her bed time speech she now start waving as soon as he starts and I then give her her milk. Some times she seems so relaxed I think she will go down, Whether I keep her in my arms or put her down(still awake) after a few mins ping she is bright as a button.  In the cot she stands, rolls about turns round while sitting thus getting herself tied up in her sleeping bag ( when i left her the other night (not crying) (just had to get to the loo) she tried to stand up while in the tangle and thumped her head on the cot side. 
Some night when we start at 7pm not getting her down to 10pm ish , by then I am getting so past it and hungry for my dinner, then the dishes and getting ready for the next day, no time to relax at all.

Her routine at the moment

7am - get up, wakes on her own
7.15 - milk
activity time
8.30 breakfast
activity time.
9.30 - 10am goes back down for a nap very easily was going for 1 - 1.5 hours but las three days getting up after 40 mins.
activity time
12noon - lunch
2.30 pm try to do nap (harder than morning) trying not to give her longer than 1  - 1.5 hours
5pm dinner
7pm upstairs ready for bed and milk
Sleep anytime between 8pm and 10pm usually nearer 10 pm.

She is now always signing for a drink and takes one over and over aging I think this is now a prop to try and stay up.

Sorry about length, just staring to go slightly nuts, getting grumpy with DH and not feeling happy at all just stuck in a very big rutand need help to break this as it is only getting worse.

Many thanks in advance

Wendy

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: Now 12 months - why o why will she not go to sleep
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 23:30:33 pm »
Hi Wendy

I think the routine might need some tweaking. She's probably getting closer to transitioning to 1 nap, so alot find that they have to wake their lo's from the morning nap to fit in a good afternoon nap. She needs an av 2.5hrs of sleep at night & about 11hrs at night so there is no need for her to sleep so much in the mornign cause then its going to be hard to get an afternoon nap in & if she does fall asleep, its either a short catnap & she is awake for a long time before bedtime OR there is no nap & she is awake for a long time before bedtime OR the pm nap is pushed too late (because its so much harder for her to fall asleep after a nice long am nap ) & the bedtime hour is pushed too late.

So I would suggest something like this:
7am - wake
10-10.30 - morning nap
10:45-11:15 - waker her up from the morning nap
2-2.30 - afternoon nap
3.30-4pm - afternoon nap ends
7.30-8pm - bedtime

Also I would suggest you do the wi/wo method rather than staying there with her and the whole bedtime hour shifting 3hrs later or rather than giving her milk. Here's the link to the method. https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63896.0

hth & let me know if you have any q's
Layla

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline wag

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My two loves
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 08:12:51 am »
Hi there

Thanks for your reply, She got up at 6.30 this morning and then went down early for her nap  - 8.55 am, I let this happen as she is due injections at 10.10am this morning will have to get her up at 9.40am, so rest of day might not be that great between that and a molar that I found last night, just take it as it comes today.  DH away Sat & Sun nights at a family christening down South representing all us up North.  This might be a good time for me to work with dd as no distraction from him.

Will go and check out the link now.

Forgot to say when she is asking for a drink it is water and not more milk.

Will give you an update later.

Wendy

P.s.  love your wedding picture.

Offline Layla

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 09:24:25 am »
Oh not the injections & teething  :(.

Let me know how she does if you get the chance.

Thank you for the compliment  :)

Offline wag

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My two loves
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 13:05:58 pm »
Hello

Well so far today has been okay, she was fine after injections but really had to go to sleep at 1.30pm will try not to let her go later than 1.5 hours.  Will probaby get her up about 3pm and try for slightly earlier bed, probably best not to try new routine tonight incase she is feeling a bit off after injections and her teeth.

Away to look at updating photo now.

Thanks

W.

Offline wag

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My two loves
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 10:37:36 am »
Just an update

She was half way through her afternoon nap yesterday when a large skip delivery lorry came round and woke her.  Took 20mins to get her back to sleep.  Got her up at 3.30 pm and we popped to the shop.  Not a happy girl guess with the teeth and injections.  Just wanted to eat cheese at dinner would not even taste her main savory dish, moved on to yogurt and fruit.  Bedtime, just wanted loads of water refused her milk (a first for months) and feel asleep very quickly at 8.10pm.  I really thought she would wake hungry. 

To be honest I think this all down to the injections and teeth and pain-killer and not a turn around for the sleep problems.

She slept through to 7am this morning, this is only the third time that she has went for this long!!!

She is with my mum and dad today who are under strict instructions for naps.  Hopefully all will go well tonight.

Regarding the wi/ wo would you leave it until these two teeth are fully broken through or not as I think the next two are very close to making an appearance.

thanks

Wendy

Offline Layla

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 10:57:35 am »
Yeah, I would :-\. Molars & eye teeth are very painful. So give her meds (if she needs them), give her lots of comfort & when she is feeling better then you can go all the way. Or you could do a modified version of wi/wo (& I did this). Go in, stay with her until she is calming down (rather than a quick in & out) & then leave.

Offline wag

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My two loves
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 11:00:26 am »
Thanks for your advice support.

Wendy

Offline wag

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My two loves
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 15:19:55 pm »
Hi there

Last night not that bad, asleep before 9pm and then up at 7am this morning.  Got up with a very runny nose, I think this is a proper cold and not her teeth s all three of us are feeling unwell.  Went down no problem for morning nap at 10.10am and I let her have 45 mins.  This afternoon now that was bad.  We settled down to read a couple of books at 1.40pm and get relaxed, a couple of yawns etc.  Gave her cal-pol and snuffle baby to help her cold.  Thought I had her away a couple of times then at 2.40pm result!! This only lasted 5 mins!!! We tried everything, nappy change, drinks, teething gel you name it after tears from both of us she eventually crashed out at 4.05pm.  I know she needs to sleep but this will knock everything out.  Think I will give her an hour then up for dinner go a walk and then try an earlier bed tonight. 

Better go as time is very limited especially as DH away for two nights.

How long would you let her sleep for after going down so late?

Thanks

Wendy

Offline Layla

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 20:31:34 pm »
Wendy, 1hr is ok although if it gets this late again, I would not let her nap at all & do a really early bedtime (like 5.30pm) :-\ only cause the 5pm ending might push her bedtime too late.

Did she not go to sleep earlier than 9pm beause she had a late afternoon nap?

Offline wag

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My two loves
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 21:21:14 pm »
She did not want to get up, I managed to open curtains, windows put clothes away and keep talking to her for 10mins then lifted her out of her cot, she looked at me and went back to sleep in my arms.  Felt so cruel waking her but I knew it had to be done.  She did wake in a better mood and nose not as runny.  She went down at 9.30 tonight, Guessing she is just not feeling well.  Hopefully she will let me have a good night ready to tackle tomorrow.

I am  feeling a bit better, guess those monthly hormones brought on the tears earlier.

Many thanks again

Wendy.

Offline Layla

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 21:55:20 pm »
She must have gone into night mode & thats why she didnt want to wake up.

Offline wag

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My two loves
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 20:21:41 pm »
Just an update. 

She slept through to 7.05 this morning.  Went down for her nap at 10.15 until I got her up at 11am, looked like she could have slept for longer.  We went to DH mums for lunch as normal on a Sunday, she took pity and insisted that I leave dd and pram etc with her and go for a couple of hours and she would put her down for a nap (this idea is based on the fact that DD will nap for her in our house okay.  So went home, vacuumed, cleaned bathroom, done shopping!!!  When I went back at 4.30 I found one rather tired mother in law and one very happy baby who has decided that you do not sleep at Gran's, just play no matter what Gran tries.  She fell asleep less than 1 mile from our house in the car, so woke her.  By the time we changed her bum, etc she had dinner at 5.30pm.  We went into the garden to look at flowers and watch the birds feed.  7pm had bath and then, book and milk, she feel asleep in my arms this was by accident as I was rubbing her to help get rid of the hic -ups and she just went.  She has been in bed since 8.20pm tonight.

Summary

7am get up

10.15 - 11am approx sleep

awake, drive Gran crazy

7pm, bath, book bottle

8.20pm in bed,  ?????

Still very runny nose with the cold and presently snoring because of it.

Thanks again

Wendy

Offline Layla

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 21:11:40 pm »
Oh no, sounds like Gran had it tough. You might try to shorten the morning nap even more to 30mins & try for the pm nap 3hrs later OR you could go back to letting her sleep as long as she wants in the morning & push that nap until its close to midday. That workes well for some as well.

She probably had a later bedtime because of the little mini snooze in the car.

Offline wag

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My two loves
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 08:44:07 am »
Hi there.

Well she slept through to 7am on the dot.

I made a mistake last night I did not mean to put the sad face on, I hit the question mark several times.

I was more than happy that she went to sleep at this time, just need to get her to do it on her own.

Gran seemingly had a great time, they just ended up play and reading books.

Will work on naps only problem is I work three days my mum and dad have her for two, and they let her fall asleep when out a walk with Grandad instead on putting her in her cot.

She is fine when I leave her waves and shouts bye bye.

Mother in law will probably be better as she comes to our house.  Will try to take weeks holiday soon.

Will update you in a few days of our progress.

Perhaps once things settle down we will consider getting rid of the paci as one thing at a time?

Many thanks again

Wendy