Author Topic: Extended nursing thread part 3  (Read 58036 times)

Offline roseola

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Re: Extended nursing thread part 3
« Reply #300 on: February 10, 2011, 00:49:50 am »
Thanks so much for your kind words and support! Reading your post really makes me know that there are women out there who understand. It was hard today when I would think about and remember that we are done, but luckily my LO doesn't seem to notice.

Congrats to all of you too! You are great Moms!

Stefanie - It's great to put a face to your name (and 2 such cute faces!) I think we started here on BW around the same time...don't know what I would do without it!
Nini

Offline Whatbit

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Triple Trouble
« Reply #301 on: February 11, 2011, 00:16:58 am »
We did- on thr spirited babies board, I think!!  Big hugs to you again today, Nini!
~Stef~

Offline roseola

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #302 on: February 11, 2011, 01:54:11 am »
So crazy! and now we're in the middle of the last birth club. How time went by! Congrats on #2!

Kudoz to you and all the pregnant Moms who are still breastfeeding!
Nini

Offline Manueli

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • big hugs
« Reply #303 on: February 11, 2011, 06:52:54 am »
Nini, I can so relate to you. I would also be absolutely sad to see this time pass! But I think there will be new moments now which you will really enjoy with your LO and that will make up for the lost ones. Plus you will always have it in your memories.

Karen, I think it will all work out for you once you go back to work. Remember that your LO is old enough to live without milk. If he doesn't drink cows milk there are always other sources of calcium. And I found with Hayden that he adapted quite well, so that he was rarely upset when I wasn't there in the morning to feed. He also started to drink more milk the less I fed him. What are you most worried about, that he wont drink his milk or that he will get upset about not being able to BF?
Manuela - Hayden (02 July 2009), Lukas (27 July 2011)

Offline ~Karen~

• Showing Appreciation 98
« Reply #304 on: February 11, 2011, 07:46:33 am »
I think that he won't be getting enough fluids.  He hardly drinks any water out of a cup and if he won't drink milk either then he won't be getting much.  Also the fact that he may be hungry although he eats so much food that's probably unlikely! 

Offline Manueli

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • big hugs
« Reply #305 on: February 11, 2011, 17:25:31 pm »
I don't think he will be hungry, especially if he eats lots of food. Maybe try switching the kind of water cup from i.e. sippy to regular cup. Or you could try adding a bit of juice to the water, even though I am not much of a fan of this. If he eats a lot, try giving him a lot of juicy foods (melon, cucumber etc) for the beginning and see if he will start drinking more once he gets less milk. Maybe he'll learn that if he is thirsty, drinking water will make him feel better. If you are really worried about his fluid intake you could also try letting him suck on a clean and wet wash cloth until he learns to drink more water or milk.
Manuela - Hayden (02 July 2009), Lukas (27 July 2011)

Offline ~Karen~

• Showing Appreciation 98
« Reply #306 on: February 12, 2011, 01:13:22 am »
Thanks.  I'm also wondering if the cups are an issue as well.  As in, I'm trying to give him milk out of the same kind of cups he has he water out of and he's wised up and won't even try it now.  Today I haven't even bothered offering him milk out of them and he started drinking water out of them.  Maybe I need to try a totally different cup for the milk so he's differentiates the two. 

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #307 on: February 12, 2011, 13:15:11 pm »
hugs ladies on all the later bfeeding issues }}{{

Half a year or more on from weaning Emma and she still drinks milk from one type of cup (straw type sporty sippy) and water from a typical avent sippy. She WILL drink both easily and well from open cups but if offered the wrong beverage from THE cup she will have a strop about it!!!

S x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #308 on: February 12, 2011, 20:52:37 pm »
These LOs are so funny. Cadan will drink whole cow's milk from a normal sippy just like he does water or juice (or very milky tea if he's lucky) so hopefully we won't have any issues when the time comes. He has milk on his cereal plus yogurt and cheese most days so I don't bother offering him milk to drink normally. DH offers it on the rare occasions I'm not around.
We are doing 3 feeds these days, morning, after nap and BT. Today for some reason he didn't want to BF after his nap. I got it out and asked him and he said "nah" and shook his head. So I asked if we should go downstairs and find daddy and that is what he wanted to do.  :( He did ask about an hour later and I tried to feed him on the sofa (we normally do it sitting on my bed) and he fed for about 30 seconds and then found something more exciting.
I don't actually mind weaning that middle feed before the new LO comes in Aug and it would be so much easier if he self-weaned that. I would like to keep the morning and BT feeds until he is 2yo next Dec if possible but I'll let him wean if he likes.   :'( haha I think I would be more upset if I didn't have this new baby on the way to satisfy my maternal instincts in the BFing dept.  ;) LOL.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 22:56:45 pm by CADIE'S MUM »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline NZ_Mum

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #309 on: February 12, 2011, 22:54:08 pm »
I was given a cup and plate set at my baby shower and there are a variety of cup/pottles/plates and utensils but all in a blue and red plastic. So I use the same shaped cups with a sippy lid, but I always put water in the red ones and milk in the blue ones. DS is happy with it like that, he knows what to expect when he takes a sip!
Just like if I say "potato" and put a piece of tomato in his mouth - then he'll spit it out, but if I say "tomato" and put the tomato in then he'll eat it! Obviously it all comes down to expectations...  ::)
-Cathy-

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #310 on: March 10, 2011, 16:37:52 pm »
Hi ladies,
 I'm not sure if this is the right place to be. My lo is 20 months old..and I'm seeking advice on how to make that transition from breastfeeding when she wakes up to breakfast time. She doesn't drink a lot of milk from her sippy cup...so I bought some sippy cups with a soft spout and are a bit longer. Is this the right approach? I just need to buy some time from when she wakes up to breakfast time at 9am or so. (she wakes at 7:30, has bf bw 7:45 and 8...)

Have any of you BTDT?
*Sarah*

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #311 on: March 10, 2011, 23:03:44 pm »
I haven't btdt Sarah but to my untrained eye that seems a long time for her to wait to eat if she isn't getting her BF. Is there any reason why you don't just do breakfast straight away when she gets up? I couldn't wait that long for my breakfast. But I am particularly greedy I suppose.
Would she just eat a banana or something similar if she isn't getting enough milk to keep her full until a later proper breakfast?
We are still doing WU and BT BF with an additional BF after nap on most days. We tend to skip the after nap one if we are out or have company when he wakes up as he is just too distracted to care.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #312 on: March 10, 2011, 23:58:56 pm »
I agree. K is 21 months nearly and if he doesn't get BF like when I'm not there he would be climbing the walls if he was waiting an hour for breakie. If breakfast is some cereal including milk you need not worry about her not wanting milk from a sippy. I find K automatically drinks more when he doesn't get BF.

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #313 on: March 11, 2011, 00:37:02 am »
Oh oh..I am breastfeeding her :) i'm wanting to wean her soon so I was wondering if there are any tips to getting her to drink her milk (not breastmilk) while I get breakfast started :)

Thanks though. Sorry if I alarmed any of you :)
*Sarah*

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #314 on: March 11, 2011, 10:53:26 am »
Hi girls and toddlers :D
I've not posted on this thread in ages, really missed you all but been so very busy :(

Sarah, I think it's a good idea to experiment with different sippys/cups to see which she prefers and will take the most milk from :) If it's more of a weaning question, you might get more BTDT experience in the weaning thread http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=124222.0 you could try there too. From what I've read here and heard from friends, most LOs start having breakfast earlier when they stop having milkfeeds, so it may be that she will want food earlier and have the sippy *with* it. Especially the ones that don't take a lot of milk. Guess it's a matter of trial and error to see what works :)

Well Sienna is 16mo tomorrow. TBH not much has changed in our feeding since 14mo, still mostly doing 3-4 feeds in the daytime, if we're out and about or have visitors we often skip a daytime feed too. We're *still* doing NFs though ::) I know, I know... Not had the motivation to wean them :P and it feels like doing that now will take a lot more energy than waking to feed quickly does... being a BW though I've known all along that if I get fed up of NFs I have the tools to change things, and somehow I think that has made me feel ok about waking to feed. Might not make any sense at all to you, but does to me LOL I mean that if these NFs were something I felt I *had* to do I would feel trapped, whereas now I've *chosen* to continue and it's working for us and I'm actually treasuring those snuggly moments just me and her :) (at least most of the time ::))God knows how long we'll continue this though... LOL
Is anyone else doing NFs still, or just us? Or is there anyone out there who let the LO self wean from NFs? In that case when did it happen/did it happen at all or did you eventually have to wean?

Hugs to Nini {{{}}} I can imagine it is sad when it ends but you will continue to build on that special bond throughout your LO's childhood :)

/Vick
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"