Author Topic: Need Gradual Withdrawal Plan for 23m old  (Read 1995 times)

Offline violagal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Need Gradual Withdrawal Plan for 23m old
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 21:16:30 pm »
Well all was going swimmingly until tonight!
Last night I stood in the doorway and after a couple of mins was desperate for the loo was said to DS I'll be a minute just going to the loo and he did call 'mumma mumma' but he could hear me saying 'mummy's here' etc and then when I went back to the doorway he calmed down. Then I thought I could try moving again so started tidying up bits and bobs from
bathtime in the landing outside his room so he could hear me moving
about. Every time he called for me i went back and stood in the doorway and after about 15mins he crashed out.
However tonight DH tried the same ie standing in the doorway and trying to tidy up etc but DS kept calling for him and got quite wound up so DH just waited in the doorway and reassured until he fell asleep which took over 40mins. He then woke up crying about half an hour ago saying 'sore teeth' so we've given him
Nurofen and again DH waited in the doorway. We know his back
molars are on the move so what happens during teething - are all bets off with sleep training? Or do we just hold the current position I.e. Standing in the doorway until he's in a better place for us to try leaving the room again? From past experience of his first molars and canines we could be in for a rough few weeks!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 19:45:18 pm »
Boo to teeth, I'd keep consistent but give meds 15 mins before BT so he's pain free when u leave him. Teeth always cause SA for us so it might require few more mins of reassuring or back in and out.
Also sometimes ST can have a bit of a regression after a few days.
You've come such a long way in 10 days  :)
Zoe

Offline violagal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 11:21:04 am »
Thanks Haribo - teeth very bad last night poor thing. But we have made our boundary which is standing in the doorway and going back to that point as many times as we need which he is ok with. Last night though I did give him several cuddles whilst he was standing in his cot but he was fine with that and lay back down to sleep himself whilst I took up post in the doorway.
I know, I can't believe how well things have gone in such a short space of time - I would never have believed it! Will stick with the doorway until the teeth calm down and then see if we can nail it. He is 2 end of this month and getting very snug in his cot so we really need to move him into a bed but want to make sure he can go to sleep on his own for a couple of weeks first so hoping we might be able to manage it for his actual birthday!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 12:38:00 pm »
Sleep can regress around the birthday mark as well so keep strong your doing fab! My DS is nearly 28 months and I had to go back to sitting in the doorway the other night so don't feel down if it regresses a bit you have made great progress and he understands how to sleep now  ;)
Mine is still in a cot but it's a big one I'm not ready for him to leave it ha ha x
Zoe

Offline violagal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 20:10:42 pm »
Well - we did it!!!!!!!!!!!! Last night and tonight (didn't want to post last night in case it was a fluke!) we followed our normal bedtime routine, a few extra cuddles before popping into the cot then said 'nanite' and walked out the door. Amazing. I have to admit I did loiter in the hallway for about 5 minutes convinced I'd hear 'Mama mama' but nope, he went to sleep. I cannot explain what a relief it is that he can put himself to sleep now!  I do  wonder who was trained the most though me or DS as it certainly took me time to believe in him being able to settle himself and getting used to putting him to bed and not seeing him asleep yet not expecting to see him again for 12 hours!

Now that we have this working, do you think we should make sure he's happy like this for a while before attempting to move him into a big boy bed? DS2 has probably only got another 4-6 weeks left fitting in his crib so we will need the cot fairly soon. As he is a fidgety sleeper we're planning to actually just buy a single mattress for now and have it on the floor to avoid the falling out of bed situation and then in a few months time set up the actual bed.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 20:19:19 pm »
Well done and big  :) I do think a lot of parenting is believing in yourself and having the courage to go for it!

I'd wait a few weeks if you can just so it's not another change straight away.
Zoe

Offline violagal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 20:56:17 pm »
It definitely is courage and I'm sure they pick up on the vibes - it's like now I expect him to be ok and he knows I expect it... Happy days for now at least! And if we get any wobbles at least we know how to do it - so glad we hardly had any crying as I'm such a softie.
And yes don't want too much change so we'll wait as long as we can before moving him out of the cot.
Thanks again for your support!
x

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 21:05:46 pm »
That's  what I always think now....if it goes wrong we can get it back on track!
Your very welcome it makes me happy when it works out  :) x
Zoe