Author Topic: Don't even know where to begin  (Read 3586 times)

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Don't even know where to begin
« on: June 21, 2014, 00:11:52 am »
Hours of screaming at BT.  Every. Single. Night.  I'm so done I can't even tell you.  I don't know what happened to my independent sleeper.  He's so seriously OT at this point I don't know how to recover. 

A normal day would be
WU 6:30/6:45
Nap 1-2:30
BT 8pm

This was going perfectly and then randomly it all went to pot, we started getting crazy early WUs (I'm talking like 4:45am) and he was so OT by bedtime I couldn't get him to sleep until 9pm or later and then it all went downhill after that.  I've tried EBTs and it still takes 2hrs to get him down.  WI/WO isn't even an option at this point because I did that the other day and when I left the room he was so hysterical he jumped out of his crib and landed on his face and gave himself a bloody nose  :'(

He gives me every excuse in the book...needs to read, be rocked, needs water, he throws all his lovies out of his crib, he won't lie down and just screams and screams.  I've had it.

I know most would say maybe he needs to cut down on his nap, but honestly I think it's the opposite.  On the weekends when he's home (not at daycare) he usually takes loooong naps (3hrs) and he seems to be much happier (I think he's just tired from the week at daycare).

I thought teeth (he's still to get his 2yr molars) but I felt around and don't feel any bumps or swelling.

I just don't know.  This is probably a rant more than anything but I'm just so bloody tired of it every night.

Offline mycatmonet

• Showing Appreciation 23
Re: Don't even know where to begin
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 00:29:19 am »
Oh gosh that sounds exhausting! Was going to suggest cutting back on the nap but oops you know your lo best. Could you make ebt in smaller increments, like 15min each night? With my dd when she takes ages to settle due to ot if I bring bt forward 15min each night. 6.15pm instead of 7pm has worked for us, if settling is still taking ages at least it is a bit earlier yk? Hmmm but dd doesn't have a nap (only twice a week at daycare and other days if she scores a 10min car cn).
Massive hugs for the bt dramas, at that time of night I know I just want the los in bed so I can relax a teeny bit!

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 02:38:29 am »
I have to say when liam got so OT a month ago we actaully upped his nap back to 2hrs and pushed bt a .5hr and he caught up. We were getting super early wake ups as well. We also did an overhaul of his BT routine and switched things up to allow for more wind down time and less bath time. HTH
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 12:42:37 pm »
Ya, I think that's why he ends up taking super long naps on the weekends to catch up.  But, I find that his CM caps his nap usually at 1.5hrs because the older boys don't nap anymore so she has to try to find a schedule that works for everyone, which means that sometimes Ben gets OT and unfortunately I can't do a whole lot about it :(  We'll see what happens this weekend, hopefully he can catch up a bit.

I also think some of it might be developmental...he's generally just going through some crazy mood swings, and is very demanding at times, tantrums, the works...so part of me thinks it's also just a power struggle.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 13:04:01 pm »
We had this a month or so ago and for us was teeth and language spurt! I couldn't feel teeth either then one day I looked and there was 1 poking through, plus didn't think he could talk anymore than he did but soooo wrong, now we have long sentences! Defo developmental here too as much more aware of BT with delaying tactics, I use a lot of in 5 mins, 2 mins etc this will happen, or choose 2 books one for downstairs and one for in bed.
I just persevered with BT routine and told him night night bedtime now and sat outside his door, repeating mummy's here it's time for sleep! Took a week or so to pass and now it's a few call ours of mummy there, I reply from other room with yes mummy here sleep well now.

Not much help but your not alone x
Zoe

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 17:54:16 pm »
Well, so much for him having a catch up nap. Its looking more like no nap. Been trying for an hour and it just isn't happening. Apparently he's just decide he hates all sleep.  I'm frustrated, and DH...oy I can't even go there. Sigh!

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 17:57:38 pm »
sorry hun. hugs.

**Siobhan**

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 18:26:43 pm »
Hugs just hope he's tired at BT and drops off easily for you x
Zoe

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 01:37:43 am »
I spoke with my CM today and she said he's only napping about an hour.  With all the BT shenanigans it's often 9pm before I get him down, then up at 6:30am, so that's only a 9.5hr night and a 1hr nap.  OT right!? I'm thinking I need to bring BT forward, what time do you think I should shoot for?

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 16:36:42 pm »
I would do 7:30 or even earlier if need be for a few days.

**Siobhan**

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 19:11:17 pm »
OT, I agree. I'd definitely go with the early bt! So sorry you're going through this xxx

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 19:21:13 pm »
I would try giving meds as well before you put him down - the teeth can be really painful for a while before there is anything to see, and given that everything was working before and it has suddenly gone hideously wrong it would seem to be something like that rather than routine related.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 23:45:41 pm »
So we were trying for a 7:30pm BT after a 6am WU this morning and a 9pm BT last night (after 1.5hrs of trying to get him down).  I gave meds tonight 30mins before BT and it's not making a difference.

DH is up there with him right now and when I say he's hysterical I literally mean he turns into a demon.  Screams as loud and as high as his voice can go, smashes his head off the side of the crib, uncontrollable crying I actually think he might be sick.  Where is this coming from!?  ??? I was trying some form of WI/WO lying him down then walking out, but at this point he's actually a danger to himself.  Last night I had to lie on the floor next to him for an hour to get him to go down after 30mins of screaming.   I just have no idea how we got here.  I know he's OT but this is nothing short of insanity, and DH and I are utterly exhausted having to deal with this complete and utter chaos every single night  :'(

Sorry, just ranting again.  I'm upset because I felt like I had a plan tonight and it clearly is making no difference.  I just don't understand it at all  :'(

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 00:02:26 am »
maybe try for even earlier and apop for a night or 2 to get him to sleep? sorry hun not much help. But when this happened with Liam for two nights I rocked him to sleep just to combat the OT and then started from there. lots of hugs to you.

**Siobhan**

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 05:56:02 am »
maybe try for even earlier and apop for a night or 2 to get him to sleep? sorry hun not much help. But when this happened with Liam for two nights I rocked him to sleep just to combat the OT and then started from there. lots of hugs to you.
Totally agree, we had to sit in his rocking chair cuddling to sleep for a couple of days then sitting next to cot for a few days! Hugs hun it will pass, for us teeth moving under surface played a big part xx
Zoe