Author Topic: is it o.k. to pat shush when put in bed  (Read 906 times)

Offline bellmaine

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 21, 2006, 20:36:42 pm »
Hello

When I lay my lo in her crib for a nap I pat shush her until she falls asleep.  She either was wakes up 10-45 minutes later and I have to pat shush her again.  Then she will do the same thing wake up 10-45 minutes later.  She I just let her cry without pat shushing her or should I continue to do this?  I need some time to myself.  My husband is never home and she never sleeps longer than 45 minutes at a time.  At night it seems hard to get her down to.  by the way she is 15 weeks old.  Can someone please help?
James John  Born:  April 21,  2002
Helena Bellmaine Born:  October 5,  2005

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Re: is it o.k. to pat shush when put in bed
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 04:23:08 am »
bumping back to 1st page, i have to go just now...but if not replies tomorrow...i'll see if i can help.

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Re: is it o.k. to pat shush when put in bed
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 04:59:05 am »
Quote (selected)
Should I just let her cry without pat shushing her or should I continue to do this?
   Letting her cry, do you mean CIO?  or the mantra cry that Tracy talks about in her second book (BWSAYP)?   CIO at this age would be crual IMO.   Shh/pat is an alternative form of sleep training.

Instead of using CIO or controlled crying, you are staying with your child, while you are giving them opportunities to self soothe. If used correctly, then it's a teaching tool.. if you pick up every single time your baby cries, then it becomes a prop.

There are certain types of cries that you DO NOT pick up on.. the fussy type of cry, the mantra type of cry, the self soothing type of cry.. but the hysertical-need-you-now-because-I-can't-calm-down-and-I'm-passed-the point-of-no-return, you DO pick up.

Can you give me some more info to see if i can help:
Do you swaddle?
  • Use white noise?

Have room darkened?

Does dc use a pacifier?

what is dc routine?

what is dc windown?

I hope this helps, i'll check back.