Author Topic: need help with an early waker  (Read 3881 times)

Offline LauraRose

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: September 26, 2007, 22:50:38 pm »
Hi, my DS (11 mos.)wakes early and always has.  At times that means he's up at 6:15, but lately he's been waking at 4:30, crying (angry), unhappy being picked up, (he'd calm down for sure if I BF him, but I don't want to start that pattern) finally falls back to sleep an hour or so later...and then wakes for good at 6 or 6:30.  Can you help me get him to sleep later?

His schedule:
6:30 wake BF
7:30 breakfast
9:45 nap (1.5-2  hrs)
11:15 wake BF
12:30 lunch
2:00 nap (1.25-1.5 hrs)
3:30 wake BF
5:30 dinner
6:45 BF
7:00 bedtime
(wakes and cries @ 4:30--aargh!)

Thanks for your help!

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: need help with an early waker
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 00:11:56 am »
Have you tried putting him to bed a little earlier?  When he wakes what generally soothes him besides nursing?   Has he been fighting either of his naps recently?  How long has this been happening?

Sorry about the questions....
Many things could be going on here.  He could be overtired. Early waking is sometimes due to being overtired because the early morning hours of sleep are lighter than the rest and tend to be disturbed easily.  He could also be teething and waking due to pain.  Have you noticed any signs of teeth? 

Myia
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline LauraRose

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 01:18:10 am »
Thanks for your questions...He could be overtired.  He has always had trouble getting himself back to sleep, but in the last month or so has had pretty consistent 1.25-1.5 hr. naps.  He used to fuss several times a night, but hasn't done that in a while either.  In fact, several weeks ago I moved his first nap from 8ish to 9am and started putting him to bed at 6:30 to see if he'd sleep more soundly at night.  That seemed to work, but he still wakes very early.  As his naps have been more consistent, I've moved his bedtime back to 7.

He doesn't seem to be teething right now.  He can be soothed after a while if I keep holding him, but even if he seems very content in my arms, he screams again when I put him down.  So, I don't hold him for long--just a minute to let him know I'm here.  I've tried not holding him (just letting him fuss) and going in to  comfort him for a moment, but either way he's up for an hour or so before begrudgingly going back to sleep. 

Do you think I should do the early bedtime again?  Thanks so much for your input!

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 01:53:02 am »
I think he is waking early because he is sleeping too much during the day. At 11 months most are doing a short catnap in the morning & a longer nap in the afternoon. I think you might have luck in getting him to sleep more in the morning if you shorten the morning nap to about 1hr (45mins-1hr)

So something like this:

9:30-10:15/10:30 - morning nap
2-3.30 - afternoon nap
7pm - bedtime

Layla :)

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline LauraRose

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 02:22:52 am »
Thank you! I'll try a shorter morning nap tomorrow. I really appreciate your help.
--Laura

Offline Muriel - Elisa's mama

• Elisa's mum
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Elisa
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 13:04:54 pm »
well i am looking at this too for my 6 mo LO who starts waking up at 5.30 and in teh FAQ i just found that so may be you are on the good track then!

* Early Wakeups
> First nap too early in the day, so is robbing from night-time sleep

Fix by delaying the time of the first nap

well, let us know how you go, may be usefull for us too!! ;D
Muriel
Elisa 4/4/2007

Offline LauraRose

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 14:02:17 pm »
Well, I tried giving him a shorter am nap yesterday.  He also had a short afternoon nap, unfortunately.  (I wonder if shortening one makes him more likely not to be able to sleep through the lighter sleep cycle for his second nap?)

Anyway, he didn't awaken during the night at all--yeah!! But, he did wake up at 5:30.  He fussed off and on until 6:15 when I got him up to BF.  I have been taking him into bed for this morning feed so he and I can both doze for a while longer.  Do you think this is encouraging the early waking?

I'm going to try the short morning nap again today and see if we make any more progress!

Laura

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 17:36:30 pm »
I wouldn't make a habit out of taking him in your room.  I always worried that Claire would come to expect that.  If she woke and I was still a little tired I would go out to the living room and cuddle her on the couch while we both gradually woke for the day. 

• Elisa's mum
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Elisa
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 19:34:57 pm »
well, i try to avoid our bed too, i placed in her bedroom a very nive armchair where i can do the BF and cuddle time too!
Muriel
Elisa 4/4/2007

Offline Layla

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 23:23:39 pm »
When I started shortening the morning nap it did take a few days before the pm nap got longer. I agree on not taking him out of the cot as it can encourage the early wake ups.

Offline LauraRose

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 13:59:03 pm »
Alright, so here's the latest update.  He had a short morning nap yesterday, which also resulted in a short afternoon nap  (about 1hr 15 min each).  Bedtime was 7 and again he slept until morning without waking at all.  He started crying at 5:50 am--I went in and did PU/PD once, he "talked" off and on happily until 6:30.

We're definitely making progress.  I'm hoping the afternoon nap lengthens, but encouraged that we are moving in that direction!

Laura

Offline LauraRose

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 17:32:28 pm »
Yesterday he had a 1hr 15 min morning nap, 1 1/2 hr afternoon nap (progress!) and went to bed at 7pm.  He slept with no waking until 5:30, when I heard him the first time.  He dozed and talked off and on until 6:15 when I got him up to BF. 

Thanks for the help.  I'm still hoping for later mornings.
 :) Laura

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 17:47:11 pm »
Sound like things are moving in the right direction.   :)

Offline LauraRose

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 17:10:00 pm »
Yes, things are moving in the right direction.  But, I still feel stuck with these super early mornings.  This morning, after yesterday's schedule of 9:45 am nap (1 hr.)and 2 pm afternoon nap (1 hr.), he again woke at 5:30--talked on and off until 6:15 when I got him up.  This is the pattern he's been in for months.  Any suggestions?  I really appreciate your ideas. 

Thanks again!
Laura

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 17:36:24 pm »
I think 2 hours for an 11 month old is not enough sleep. I would try for 1.5 hours each nap.

Offline LauraRose

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 17:53:43 pm »
I agree, my only problem is that when he was sleeping 1.5 hrs for his naps he was waking around 4 am--yikes!  Maybe now that I've moved his am nap to 9:45 or 10 he won't do that.

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 00:03:24 am »
I would try it. I know it is a guessing game but I just feel like 2, 1 hour naps might not cut it for him.  Will he sleep a little longer for one nap?

Offline LauraRose

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 00:12:19 am »
Yay! Today he slept 1 hr. for his am nap and 2 hrs. for pm.  I'm hoping it makes a difference for tomorrow morning.

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2007, 00:14:34 am »
Here's hoping that it continues....

Offline LauraRose

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 20:09:53 pm »
This morning he didn't wake at all until 6:15.  However, his morning nap was very fitful and short--fussing every 15 minutes or so for an hour.  Hopefully the afternoon nap will be long and we'll have another "later" morning tomorrow.  I'll let you know!
-Laura

Offline Layla

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2007, 20:34:54 pm »
Yay Laura... I am glad the shorter morning nap is helping out the wake up time ;D

Offline LauraRose

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 17:26:51 pm »
OK.  I am feeling a bit discouraged.  Yesterday morning DS woke at 5:30--talked/fussed until 6:15 when I got him up.  Slept one hr for am nap (I put him down at 9--a bit early).  Then 1 1/2 hrs for afternoon nap and to bed at 7:15. (So, pretty much his usual early day.)

Last night he woke at 3:30 and was up until 4:30, just talking and shaking the sides of his crib--not crying. (I thought I was going crazy--I'm feeling sleep deprived, but I don't want to complain because I know a lot of other moms have it much worse.)  I couldn't go back to sleep until 5:30.  He then woke at 6:15 and I got him up to BF. 

I put him down for his am nap at 9:30 and he started fussing at 10:00.  He is sooo tired!  I did PU/PD and thought he might resettle, but he's just crying!  I feel like we are going backwards.  Sorry for the frustration.  Thanks for your advice. =)

-Laura

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2007, 21:47:28 pm »
"Crib parties" are fairly normal at this age.  Layla had them an Stacy, a member, had them as well that I remember.  Did you go in and try to settle when he wasn't crying?  As hard as it is to relax when they are awake I wouldn't go in unless he cries.  Claire would sometimes be awake for 45 minutes and then just go back to sleep. It is developmental and there's not much you can do.
I would suggest an earlier bedtime as well if he is waking at 6:15.

Offline LauraRose

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2007, 21:50:54 pm »
I don't go in to settle unless he's really crying, and in the middle of the night he doesn't tend to.  Good to know that it might just be a phase.  I will try an earlier bedtime again. (BTW--I put him down for his afternoon nap at 12:30 and he slept until 3, catching up I guess.)

-L

Offline LauraRose

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2007, 21:15:29 pm »
Hi dear ladies,
Here's the update on DS's naps and wake-up time.  We went through a really rough phase with him being so OT and me unable to fix it--until I started putting him to bed at 6pm.  He was still having only 45 min. naps for a few days, but sleeping better at night.  Then, yesterday, when he woke after 45 min. afternoon nap I went in and did PU/PD and he went back to sleep! For almost 2 more hrs!  I still put him to bed at 6:15 and he slept until 6:30 this morning! Today he took a 1 1/2 hr. morning nap and just woke after an hour afternoon nap.  But I did PU/PD (while I was posting this) and he's back to sleep.  Yipeee!  What a difference it makes in his mood too.  He's back to his happy, smiley self.

Thank you for your help momofclaire and Isabella&Jasmine's mum.  I have found the BW boards to be so supportive and encouraging lately.  It's wonderful to see women who can relate to what we go through as moms and are willing to offer thoughtful insight and advice.

--Laura

Offline Layla

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2007, 21:28:36 pm »
Laura... thats great news!!!

;D :-* ;D

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2007, 23:32:45 pm »
Yea!  ;D

Offline LauraRose

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2007, 03:37:47 am »
argh...this is a bumpy process. We've had lots of early mornings here (5:30 is a good average) and short naps (1 hr. 15 min is a long nap for ds, 45 min is more usual). The early bedtime is working best--I've been putting him to bed at 6.  He still wakes super early, but at least no night wakings and he's not AS tired during the day.  Still, wish he'd sleep 2 1/2 to 3 hrs during daytime sleep.  He went back to sleep twice during naps when I did PU/PD, but now he just cries. Should I take this question to the naps board? Thanks for your help.

• Elisa's mum
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Elisa
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2007, 08:31:18 am »
courage! well for one thing having a sleeping baby at 6.00 and no NW... a lot would just dream about this so it is already very good!! :) you already have your evening free for yourself, and it just mean 6.00-5.30 nihgt is already a long sleep. did you trip PU/PD to extend the night of one hour or so?
Muriel
Elisa 4/4/2007

Offline LauraRose

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2007, 14:27:16 pm »
I know, I'm trying to remember that I could be a lot more tired! Last night ds was up (talking, not fussing) at 2 and 4 and woke crying to get up at 6. I just wish he were more well rested. He could be teething (I gave him med. at 4:30). But, yes I've tried PU/PD to extend morning sleep--he gets **angry!**

Thanks for encouraging me to persevere. =)

• Elisa's mum
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Elisa
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2007, 07:37:34 am »
well i feel it with you....sure sleeping without cut would be sooooo good!! ;D
well i also have tried PU/PD with mine early mroning but she also used to get upset, so i just let her play in her crib if she is not crying then or giving her a toy so i can get 30 mn sleep extra!

but the NWs passed by themselves after 2 weeks, and i did not know why or what i changed that worked, i think it is also due to developments some times and it has nothing to do with what as mum we can try!

but hang in there it will go away!!
Muriel
Elisa 4/4/2007