Author Topic: New Night Wakings!  (Read 1822 times)

Offline vbeck

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
New Night Wakings!
« on: September 29, 2007, 21:46:44 pm »
We have just got back from a week in spain and before this my ds who is 18 weeks would go down at 7.30, most of the time without paci, on a few occasions his slept throught till 7 but mostly he was waking once for a bottle, about 3ish and going straight but down till 7.30am! But since we have been back, well its a nightmare, he went down at 7.20 tonight and he has woke 6 times?? Ive gone up, giving him paci and comforted him and his gone straight off ive also taking paci out after his stopped suking and his stayed asleep but then wakes 40mins later? Last night he woke at 10.30 and would not settle, was going mad on paci so gave him bottle, he drunk all of it and slept till 1 when i had to resettle him, he then slept till 6!

He is in his own room but while we were away he was in our room and at every little noise i was up comforting him, i think this maybe has something to do with it, because im sure his always fussed and fidgeted in his sleep but normally when his in his own room i dont hear it so now, when he wakes instead of self soothing, he thinks Mummy will come!

His naps in the day are great since we have been back, its all sort of reversed as i was having nightmares with his naps before we went away and night times were always great but now i get great naps and crap night times!

Any advice would be great!

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: New Night Wakings!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 00:13:51 am »
It may take a little time for him to get back into the regular routine.  Traveling has always thrown us for a loop. Do you think he may be going through a growth spurt as well? There is a big one around 4 months.

I would try not to ruse to him at night, if he is fussing leave him alone unless he really starts to cry.  I would try to soothe with pat/shh for now. 
Can you post his daytime routine for me?  It may help to take a look at that as well.
Myia
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline vbeck

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 09:31:28 am »
Wakes between 7.30-8 and has his bottle

Eat-8.00
Activity-8-9.30
Sleep-9.30
Eat-11.30
Activity-11.30 and then then we normally go out around lunch time so he will sleep in his pram but if we are at home ill put him down for another nap about 1ish!
Eat-3.00
Activity-3-4ish because he may not have had a proper nap between 11.30 till 3 then he will go for a nap earlier and sleep till 5.30 then we play till 6.30 when he will have bottle, bath, cuddle and into his cot!

The past 3 nights, since i posted he has gone straight to sleep, Sun night he woke once at 3, then slept till 7.45, last night he woke at 1.40, drunk 6oz, then woke at 5, drunk 5oz then lept till 8.15!

He has re-settle into his bedtime routine but to wake twice and drink all of the bottles is new, its always been once so i know his hungry but he will only drink 6oz at a time in the day and his on hungrier milk!

Dont know if this is now a feeding question?

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 12:17:44 pm »
He could be going through a growth spurt.  There is a pretty big one around 4 months.

I think your routine might need a little adjustment as well.  It seems he is on a 3.5 hour easy.  Do you think he might be ready for a 4 hour routine?  Can he handle a little more A time in the morning.  I would be aiming for 2 naps lasting 1.5-2 hours and a cat nap of 30-45 min. 

I would try to get more food in him during the day. If it is a growth spurt it wont last more than a week.  If he is just not getting enough during the day upping his intake will help as well. 

Offline vbeck

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 11:29:47 am »
I tried 4 hour easy a few weeks ago but since we have been back from holiday he seems so much hungrier, yesterday his last 2 bottles were 7oz up from 6oz, but still woke in the night, he went to bed at 7, woke at 11.30 and would not re-settle untill i fed him and he drunk 6oz, then he woke again at 2.30 i tired pat/sshh for 45 mins with no joy so i had to feed him and again he drunk 6oz and went back down till 7.20! I put him down for a nap at 9 and a dog outside barking woke him at just before 10 and he would not go back to sleep but when he had his bottle at 7.30 he would only drink 4oz so i thought he must be hungry, fed him at 10.45, drunk 5oz then didnt want anymore untill 11.30, he went down for a nap at 12, he was overtired though so it took a bit longer to get him to sleep!

Maybe it is a growth spurt, ive up'd his bottles by an ounce to 7 and yesterday he drank all of them, he only drank 5oz this morning but then finished the 7oz at his mid morning feed!

Its def. hunger in the night cause as soon as his fed, he goes straight in his cot without his dummy! Ill just have to try and get more into in the day like you say? and ill try 4 hour EASY

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 12:12:16 pm »
It does sound like a growth spurt.  It won't last too long. Hang in there and keep me posted.

Offline vbeck

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 11:23:15 am »
Well last night he went down at 7, and woke about 3 times untill he finall fell asleep at 8, but as he wouldnt drink his full bottles yesterday, as his constipated (AGAIN), he woke at 1.50 but only drunk 3oz before falling back to sleep, then he woke at 4 but managed to go back to sleep till 5 when he would not settle untill he had a bottle and he drunk 5oz, then he woke at 7 and i held of giving him a bottle till 8 when once again, only drunk 5oz, his gums are really playing him up today, and to top it all off, he had his 3rd jab this morning, ive just posted a question on bottle feeding about his constipation as it really does bother him when his hasnt been to the toilet, ive given him calpol, he had another bottle at 12 but only drunk 4oz, he just seemed so tired and ratty and as soon as i layed him in his cot he fell asleep!

Im not even going to worry about routine today as so much is going on for him that i just want him to rest!
x

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 17:52:04 pm »
Poor guy, I hope he gets to feeling better soon. If he has constipation issues maybe a different formula would help?  :-\

Offline vbeck

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 06:27:20 am »
Well ive only just switched to cow and gate plus and he was fine to start with??

Last night he went to bed at 6.30 as he was so tired, he woke at 2 for a bottle, then he woke at 4 and would not go back to sleep and i literally could not keep my eyes open so i layed him in our bed and he settled for a bit but was wide awake at just after 6, i fed him and we have been up since?? This is so not like him, do you think it could be cause he went to bed at 6.30?

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 18:14:50 pm »
The early morning hours of sleep are a lot lighter than those before midnight so if he is ill or not feeling the best the morning sleep would be disturbed.  How was he at 4?  What did you do in order to try to settle him?  If he was in bed at 6:30 he could very well be ready to get up at 6. 

Offline vbeck

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 05:58:42 am »
Well we had a few good nights but now well he is going down at 7-7.30, sleeping fine till midnight when he wakes and will not settle without a bottle, then last night he woke at just after 1, went back to sleep till 5 and since then we have been awake, gave him a bottle, he settled for 10 min ut was then awake again and i am so so tired that i really dont know what to do? hw can my baby that used to sleep forever at night, turn into this!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please help me!!

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 17:33:17 pm »
Do you think if you would have fed at 1 he would have slept through the rest of the night?  He is just under 5 months right?  It is possible that he still needs a feed though I tend to think they can go without.  What are you doing to settle him when he wakes? If you know he isn't hungry but continue to feed then he will always "need" a bottle to settle.

He could also be going through some developmental things right now.  Is he scooting or attempting to crawl or roll over?