Author Topic: Combining cereal with veggies or fruit  (Read 606 times)

Offline luv for 2

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: September 25, 2006, 17:09:01 pm »
I introduced cereal to my son last week and it wasn't a big hit.  I know that he's really interested in food because he's always trying to grab whatever everyone else is eating.  The other day he got ahold of a popsicle  :) from my hand and he has a super strong grip so he got it to his mouth and was quite upset when I took it away.  I took this as indication that he might like fruits or veggies.  So my question is should I combine them with the cereal or just introduce them on their own and worry about the cereal at a later date?

Offline linfran

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
Re: Combining cereal with veggies or fruit
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 17:18:30 pm »
How old is your son?

If he's old enough for solids pear is a pretty good starter, also baby rice (not sure if you meant this was the cereal you tried).  The guidelines say trying solids from 6 mo (my son was an exception because he was massive and I couldn't keep him filled on just milk) and when we started we tried a new fruit or veg each week.  Ds found some of the fruit such as apple and plum a bit acidic so we mixed it with baby rice (made up wth his formula) and made a creamy dessert out of it.

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 00:48:23 am »
We didn't do cereal for long as i was worried about constipation. I did mix it with her fruit and vege for a while to help thicken due to reflux. However their isn't really any need so just do them on their own. Later on we moved to baby museli and porriage.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Mum-of-Two

• Showing Appreciation 87
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 13:59:11 pm »
We started with rice cereal but had some constipation issues so we switched to oatmeal at some point.  We've mix fruit in with the oatmeal for a long time now and even veggies sometimes too.  As a matter of fact, I just added some oatmeal to some yogurt the other day and it made a really yummy breakfast for her.  I used half a 4 oz container of yo baby yogurt to mix with the oatmeal and when she was done with that she finished off the rest of it from the yogurt container.

Angels 7wks-June07, 11wks-Oct07, 5wks-Jan08