Author Topic: Mango for 8/9 month old  (Read 3191 times)

Offline Missy Lou

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
Mango for 8/9 month old
« on: November 08, 2006, 15:06:37 pm »
i make addison's food.  i have this book about what food you give at what age.  it said that at 8 months, you can give mango.  she'll be 9 months on friday. 

this morning she has little red bumps ALL over her body.   :o  when i changed her clothes this morning, it was all over her body but not her face.  i changed her clothes, walked next door to MIL and it was all over her cheeks.  within 5 minutes maybe. 

is this an allergic reaction you think?  would it happen that fast?  she had mangos yesterday morning.
TIA
melissa

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Mango for 8/9 month old
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 17:07:11 pm »
Oh my goodness Melissa! Colin eats tons of mango, it's one of his absolute favorites and he's been eating it a long time. He's never had any problems though.... I would suspect it's a reaction to the mango, unless you've changed laundry detergents or something like that.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline sophiems

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • My 3 monkeys!
    • Cloudy with a Chance of Books
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 17:51:39 pm »
hmmm, I've heard of people being allergic to mango, but usually if it's a rash reaction to food it would show up sooner than that!  anything else new?  Different dryer sheets, soap, shampoo, etc.?  I guess you could wait a couple weeks and give mango again. 
Also, I thought that you couldn't have an allergic reaction teh first time.  You would have to have had the mango 2x to get a reaction, right?? 
3 boys:  D-8, L-5, and C-3 and one more little one due 11/11

Offline simran

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Wellington, NZ
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 20:22:34 pm »
Hi There,

I gave my DD mango a few days ago and she was fine, no reaction.  I have read that mangoes fall under the 'least allergenic category'.  However and this is an 'old wives tale' my MIL & my mum have always told us that mangoes when eaten generate a lot of body heat hence causing skin rashes, similar to heat rash.  I remember when growing up, pigging out on mangoes, mum would always warn us of waking up with huge pimples the next day.  My advice would be to stop the mango, wait until the rash clears and then try them again.  Good Luck
Regards

Nush and Simran

Offline Missy Lou

• Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 20:52:41 pm »
i'm bummed about it because addison loved them.  i thought it was weird for her to get a rash 24 hours later.  i thought it would take time too.  the bumps were EVERYWHERE.  we haven't done anything different.  she is taking antibiotics for the thrush and ear infection but we started those about 10 days ago. 

ped said to give her benedryl and stop the mangoes.  i hope it was the food and not something else.  i'm afraid about the benedryl though because i've heard it can make some LOs super hyper and i don't know when to give it to her - during the day where it might make her super drowsy and screw up naps or later when it might make her super hyper and mess up bedtime? 

always some decision.  thanks guys.
melissa