Author Topic: what does your toddler eat for breakfast?  (Read 3401 times)

Offline LucySol

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
what does your toddler eat for breakfast?
« on: April 07, 2010, 17:34:31 pm »
ok so im running out of ideas to give to Daisy.she is generally a good eater apart from at breakfast.The only thing she will eat is weetabix and readybrek and thats only if i spoon feed her and it takes lots of persuasion.The rest of her meals she is v.independant and will feed herself but breakfast is becoming an issue.
part of me wonders if its boredom having the same thing to eat but i dont offer her other things cos she wont eat them! looking for some suggestions please!

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
Re: what does your toddler eat for breakfast?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 17:43:20 pm »
Not much help I'm afraid - we're stuck on Readybrek ourselves...and I feed him...he has eaten shreddies on occasion but usually has a few and is done. 

Although at the weekend if I have the time (and inclination lol) I will cook us all something - scrambled eggs, or bacon and mushrooms, or an omelette and he will usually tuck into these as he would his other meals.  Definitely not an everyday thing though!

MummyToBen

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 17:51:47 pm »
hello  :)

Often I make DS a 'medley' of cereals, mostly low sugar (like sugar free wheat puffs), with a few other cereals added in - like a small handful of cheerios, shreddies, mini weetabix, etc.  

Porridge - with different fruits to vary things.  Favourites are bananas and cinammon, or rasberries (frozen) and vanilla bean paste.  

I also do omellette or scrambled eggs (done in the microwave for speed) on toast for some variety.  Oh and French toast - can be done sweet with cinammon and raisins, or savoury with a bit of ketchup.

Or peanut butter and a bit of jam on toast...yum.

Oh, or muesli (sugar free) is very popular here - sometimes with extra fruit added - banana/tinned fruit.

Also, I sometimes do two 'courses' - so toast, and then greek yoghurt with grated apple - just to vary things but to make sure he has a bit of a balance of nutrients.

I keep thinking of things!!!  One of his favourites is a healthy full english breakfast!  I modify it though - so a piece of toast, few baked beans, mushrooms, half a sausage, scrambled eggs, tomato - goes down very well and I like it too!

xxx
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 17:54:18 pm by Claire (MummyToBen) »

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 18:21:07 pm »
we do ready brek and weetabix too with toast or muffin after. DS self feeds now and gets very cross if I try too!
Have you tried pancakes?
Also - I find fruit with the cereal helps if DS is being a bit more fussy - he soon scoffs it down then. Fruit puree like apple/blueberry pots are good and we also make a compote from the Annabel Karmel book that is basically one apple, one pear and some dried apricots and prunes stewed. Yum :)

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline momtonb&ab

• Showing Appreciation 234
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 19:25:32 pm »
we do everything that claire mentioned, and also we do a fruit smoothie (nothing is more exciting then a straw in cup at breakfast!!!  :) ) in the blender.  frozen fruit and vanilla yogourt and milk.  add banana if you like it! add protein powder for kick if lo will not mind the texture (my kids LOVE it)

all good stuff!

we also do oatmeal in the microwave when in a rush (not the instant kind, the quick cook flakes) and add fruit or cinnamon (or one of our favorites is nutritional yeast/raisins/bit of maple syrup in oatmeal!)

toast with cheese also a good one, or toast and almond butter and apple slices

Offline rach321

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 19:30:57 pm »
Depends if its a nursery day or not - on nursery days he just has some toast before we leave and he has cereal there, they have a different one each day.  If we are at home then he usually has cereal (I usually alternate between weetabix, rice crispies, going to try mini shredded wheat this week) followed by some fruit and yoghurt and then some toast if he's still hungry.  On weekends, scrambled egg/omelette/eggy bread are all hits or if I'm feeling adventurous we have pancakes.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 19:53:07 pm »
Toast
Toasted teacakes
Yoghurt
Cheerios
Boiled egg on toast (only if DH is having it  ::))
Shreddies
Rice crispies
Wheetabix

Anything else if someone else is eating it  ::). And all self fed of course - Jacob doesn't 'do' being fed!

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 21:45:00 pm »
hello
lots of good ideas above!
does she have milk on waking in the morning? Perhaps that is filling up her tummy so she is not hungry for breakfast? does she ask for a snack mid morning due to hunger from not eating enough breakfast?
hope she is better now xxxx
]

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 21:48:45 pm »
Smoothies are a big breakfast staple around here!  We also do oatmeal, yogurt and cottage cheese with cereal sometimes, avocado and banana, and eggs.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline LucySol

• Showing Appreciation 55
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 08:15:48 am »
gr8 ideas!!

Kathryn,yeh she has milk and waking and asks for a snack mid morning! ::) :-\

MummyToBen

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 08:18:47 am »
Ooh, some good ideas!  x

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 08:22:46 am »
I was going to ask the same as KathrynK.  DS has milk but then can't have breakfast much earlier than an hour later.  When we have been running late we've tried to give him breakfast quite soon after his milk and he refuses it - he LOVES breakfast.  I'm currently thinking about reducing his morning milk...
LAURA xx

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 09:02:10 am »
I always have to wait at least 45 mins after morning milk to give DD breakfast otherwise she is not interested and she is a great eater.
The last few days she has had weetabix with strawberries and blackberries (fresh) chopped up and mixed in and she has loved that, she was def getting bored of the plain weetabix I was giving her! She also loves those little pancakes you can put in the toaster, I buy the raisin ones from Tesco, toast them and put butter on them, simples :)

xxx
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline mum101

• Char
  • Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 10:50:08 am »
Weetbix mostly here!

Toast with avocado or peanut butter
Porridge with dates in it (was reading up on dates recently, they have a lot of great nutrients in them)
Scrambled eggs
I have an awesomely healthy bircher muesli recipe
We have weetbix crunch as a treat, it's got more sugar than weetbix but still really good wholegrain.
mumma to 2 former BW babies, DD 11, DS 8

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 11:09:53 am »
Lucy I would try reducing the milk, or (if you can bear it) giving her breakfast much earlier, soon after she wakes and giving the milk with breakfast, not before. Then she might eat more, and then not be starving for a snack mid morning, kwim?
xxx
]

MummyToBen

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 11:16:37 am »
Yes, we do breakfast first thing, then some milk a little while after breakfast and that usually means he can hold out til 10/10.30ish for a snack. 

xx

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 12:12:32 pm »
I cap J's morning milk as well Lucy - 6oz max. But I do notice that he often eats more on days when he refuses his morning milk (like if Daddy DARES to try giving it to him  ::)).