Author Topic: 7 weeks - how to sleep longer at night?  (Read 1048 times)

Offline jaybee

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
7 weeks - how to sleep longer at night?
« on: November 21, 2005, 11:33:51 am »
Hi
This is my first post, though I have found Tracy's book helpful... My son is seven weeks old, and he is doing great, but seems to be stuck in a pattern of sleeping from about 11.30pm to 5am. I know this is great progress, but my daughter was sleeping from about 11.30 to 7am or 8am at this stage, and I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much from him to move towards the same...
Any ideas on how to encourage him to sleep longer?
(I'm breastfeeding, as I did with #1!)
Jaybee
Mum to Beth, 2 Nov 2003 and Noah, 30 Sep 2005

Offline cymonguk

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 12:44:56 pm »
jaybee you are just about to be lynched  :wink:

6 hours for a 7 week is good, most babies will not sleep more than 4-5 and many on here have trouble with 3....

Your first may well have been one of those very few that will sleep longer, but that doesnt mean its in the genes some babies do some dont.

Take what you have right now and be grateful! Otherwise you could try feeding up at night and add a further evening feed in to see if it helps..

Offline jaybee

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 13:15:29 pm »
That's reassuring - I am a member of another website where everyone's babies seemed to be sleeping for 8 hours from about 5 weeks old... ! But  from what you are saying that's clearly not representative! Maybe they only put the good stories on! They mostly seem to be bottle feeding too, so maybe that makes a difference...
Cheers.
Jaybee

Offline jaybee

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 13:18:06 pm »
Oh, and the 'typical hours' post in this forum does say 8.75 hours for a one month old, but maybe they don't mean in one go!

Offline cymonguk

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 13:22:08 pm »
No they dont mean in one go as far as I am aware, most people wake up feed (half asleep usually) and go back off.

WRT to the other board its very surprising certainly at 7 weeks. Once they get to about 12-15 weeks I think its much more common for them to sleep through. Partly it is down to physical development as at first their little bellies cant hold enough food to keep them going for more than 4-6 hours usually.