Author Topic: How do i teach my 8 month old to sleep by himself?  (Read 870 times)

Offline sarahS

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
How do i teach my 8 month old to sleep by himself?
« on: January 18, 2006, 09:05:01 am »
Hi everyone,

I hope someone out there can help! I have a very happy and healthy 8 month boy. strange mix between an angel and spirted baby. The problem is with his sleep. He has never learnt how to fall asleep by himself due to a lot of accidental parenting. It used to be that he had to be fed and rocked but now he just has to be cradled. As a result of his inability to get himself to sleep he is still not sleeping through the night. on a good night waking up twice.
We are planning on strating pupd when his top teeth have come through as he is in a lot of pain at the moment but think that before we can tackle that we need to look at how he can settle himeslf down first.
He is a big baby and is getting to big to be cradled and so even that method of getting him to sleep is starting to fail us.
My partner and myself are desperate for a decent night sleep, it has started to put a big strain on our realtaionship, he is not doing so well at work due to lack of sleep and i am finding it increasingly difficult to enjoy my time with my baby as i am always so tired. i hope that there is someone out there who can help.
I have read Tracy's section on getting them to sleep with the sush pat but this seems to distract him. it has got to the point where i dont think LO understands that he is supposed to be going to sleep as we are not cradleing him.
I thought that rather than putting him in the cot straight away we cradle him unitl he is almost asleep and sush him down and the work from there. does anyone think this will work? Should i just go straight into doing pupd? Can anyone help me PLEASE?????
SARAH

Offline jswerczek

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
How do i teach my 8 month old to sleep by himself?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 15:26:46 pm »
Hi Sarah,
      I would suggest ready Tracy's section on PU/PD, it is better suited to work at 8 mo. than the pat/sshh method. She outlines a plan on how to go about using the method to break the accidental parenting that has been going on. It won't be easy, but it will work if you stick with it and be consistent. Let me know if you have any questions. I have not had to use it much myself but if you check out the PU/PD board, you will find a lot of useful advice and support.

Good luck and remember, with a little work, it can get better!
Jennifer

Mom to Jake born 6-16-05 and Julia born 8-29-07