Author Topic: Tummy sleeping?  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Ami ~ 3 girls' mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 70
Tummy sleeping?
« on: February 10, 2006, 15:57:24 pm »
Help, this is the only way my 7-week-old will sleep at night.  Naps are OK on her back, although 45 minutes lately, but at least she does go to sleep.

At night she's up for hours crying and generally unhappy.  She will fall asleep in the colic hold with pressure on her tummy and the past two nights has fallen asleep next to me on her stomach as well.  I don't even nurse her; I just lie down and she's out until 8 am.

Is there any way to make this work?  I'm scared to lay her on her stomach but it appears to be the only way we'll get any sleep.  She doesn't want to sleep upright with us on the couch.  I'd like her in the bassinet. 

???

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Re: Tummy sleeping?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 21:02:40 pm »
this seems to have come up a lot lately.  though it doesn't apply to me, what many other moms have posted was that they did let their lo sleep on their tummies and they turned out okay.  whether or not you do the same is up to you.  if you decide to, you may want to try doing it for naps at first so you can keep an eye on her.

only other idea i have is to elevate the head of her mattress to see if that helps. 

Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 23:23:57 pm »
We have an Angel Care monitor for our lo.  It Is sound and motion.  If it does not sense motion or breathing for 20 seconds, it alarms.   http://www.angelcare-monitor.com/angelcare.html  We got it because she was a preemie, but it would provide reassurance to any parent.  We get the occasional false alarm because she breathes too fast to pick up.  It's expensive, but totally worth it.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Mrs Pickers

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 15:16:47 pm »
Hi, we have a spirited/textbook little girl and struggled hard in the start to get her to sleep. The only way to calm her was the reverse breastfeed position on her front (Happiest Baby on the Block DVD - Dr Harvey Karp) and it worked miracles.

Beth has slept on her front since she was 6 weeks old and we have never had any problems, Beth has always taken 2hr naps and slept through the night and I am sure it is because of EASY, swaddling and sleeping on her front. If she ever rolled on to her back she would only sleep 45mins.

Having said that, you must be comfortable to have your little one on her front. Maybe you could start having her propped up on her side??

Good Luck

Rosie

Offline sillennyl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 19:34:59 pm »
What it all comes down to is do what works for you and your baby. Letting your baby sleep on his/her tummy shouldn't be a dirty little secret. You are not alone in your dilemma. I've been struggling with letting my son tummy sleep too, because of all I've heard about SIDS. Unfortunately, he won't sleep alone for any length of time on his side or back - I've been letting him sleep beside me at night so I can nurse him (a habit I'm breaking now) and that's the only way he'll sleep on his side. So during the daytime I've been letting him take his naps on his tummy and I just check on him frequently. Most of the time he takes great naps. Now I'm trying to get him in his crib for nighttimes but haven't been successful b/c I've been afraid to let him sleep on his tummy. Finally, last night, I decided I'd go ahead and let him tummy sleep through the night. Success! He still woke at his usual 2:30 and 5:30 times (habits - not for real feedings) but slept through his 7:00 awakening straight through to 9:00 a.m.! I am still a little hesitant about the tummy sleeping issue but I need to come to terms with it. Just know there are others out there who share your concerns but have found success with tummy sleeping. Good luck to you!

Offline marleysmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 22:22:44 pm »
We had almost the same issues with our little Marley. She would never sleep longer than 2 hours on her back, and she would wake up crying ALOT!! One night we gave up and tried tummy sleeping, and she slept for 6 hours straight! Now she sleeps from 8:30pm until 4am without a peep in her own crib. I won't tell you it is OK, but it worked for us!!
Marleys Mommy

Offline Ami ~ 3 girls' mom

• Showing Appreciation 70
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 02:53:39 am »
This has worked for two weeks now.  She sleeps through the night almost every time and takes good naps all on her tummy.  And I'm slowlwy relaxing about it.  :)

thanks everyone