Author Topic: Support thread for moms of picky eaters  (Read 74939 times)

Offline kirsty_167

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • My little munchkin!!
Re: Support thread for moms of picky eaters?
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2006, 02:43:59 am »
I too would like to say a big thank you to Debra for all that information.It was a big help knowing what i can do to help my son. Everyones time and effort to help each other here is so great!!

Thank you!!Kirstyx

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2006, 05:57:58 am »
Thanks for the thank  yous  ;)- you are welcome. I ended up typing most of the good bits and left out only the expansion on music and  the stuff on how they develop over time from birth to 2 yrs (with oral development etc) if you need that info let me know and i will get it for you. i included most that is relevant to this age group and sets of issues.

congrats on all the gains - however small.

i made the spinach meatloaf that was posted in the toddler eating thread and Liv only hesitated  a little (i was eating some too) and tried it and ate about 1/2 a slice so i am hoping that will be a consistent new food (seeing as i put about 7 slices in the freezer for continual introductions). today she also stole her sister's ham at lunch and must have eaten a reasonable amount cause alex came to me and said Livvy at all my ham (slight exaggeration) - she had previously tasted little bits but was undecided how she felt about the texture (i buy think sliced/shaved ham at the deli)

Melissa - i dont know if  you made a big batch of the pancakes but the point is to keep offering some at every meal or 2 until she decides to touch or try it. were you eating along with her? i find there is definitely a greater chance she will try it if i (or Dh) eat some too or alex has it on her plate

Karen - i think they understand more than we realize - i woudl offewr her the item(s) and show her that you are tasting it and emphasize the woird "taste" or you touch it and say - do you want to TOUCH it like mommy and show her what to do - she will add the lingo to her understanding very soon, especially if it serves her interests
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2006, 13:16:07 pm »
Question for you all: apple cider vs apple juice?  Is it more potent in the poo department?  I did water it down, that's the only thing I can think of that might have loosened her.  Or was it the milk in the scalloped taters?  Doubt she ate much as it was at daycare, and she is cool with milk in cooking.  Any thoughts?
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2006, 14:41:09 pm »
I believe that I have heard that apple cider vinegar can be a constipation remedy?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2006, 12:12:46 pm »
So we offered some choices yesterday and not sure if that helped a little or she was just feeling better teething wise and hungrier but she did eat better. Still no new foods and plenty refused, but she did take back grilled cheese (had five bites yesterday) and did really good with English muffin this morning and is letting me spoon feed her purees again and she seems like she may be starting to get interested in the spoon herself. Today going to try to reintroduce turkey meatball and keep trying with the edamame beans...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Carys' mom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2006, 14:48:14 pm »
I just had to post this because I think it's funny. Last night for dinner, we offer dd fish - she refuses. We offer cheese raviolis with a little sauce on them - she refuses. I offer her some of my Nutrisystem vegetable lasagna entree, and she gobbles it up!  :o Diet food! I do have to say it is pretty good  ;D.
Melanie
Mom to Carys Elizabeth (2/15/05) and Joshua August (8/16/07)

Offline JennŠ

« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2006, 01:06:07 am »
Yay Marisa!!!!! 
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2006, 01:17:56 am »
Thanks Jenn. Teeth are back full force bothering so basically no dinner and totally refused the turkey meatball still (and hot dog) but she did good earlier in the day.

Melanie - that is too funny!

Offline JennŠ

« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2006, 17:05:12 pm »
Hey Karen, been thinking again.   :o  Since she lets you spoon feed purees, which are wetish, would she let you fork feed small bits of canned pears maybe?  Very mushy.  Also, does she show any interest in your food at all?  That's how Charlotte tried ravioli.  She ate ours.  Random brainwaves...

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2006, 18:06:48 pm »
I have tried in the past but not in a while - she generally doesn't allow me to feed her anything that doesn't look like mush - it's odd. Unfortunately we don't get to have family meals too often. I try to eat something with her when I'm hungry but she has breakfast and dinner so early... We try to make sure to have at least one meal/day together on teh weekends - sometimes she'll seem interested in our food but then either freaks out if we give her some or tries it and gets upset.

Offline Marisa's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2006, 03:55:50 am »
do any of you with toddlers not eating meat worry about the iron they are not getting?

Well, DD was a late starter on the solids, so we held off on giving her meats, and then took our time introducing meats starting with the "softer" ones. So before meats, we added a lot of tofu into her diet, which usually gave her some protein, iron, and calcium.
Marie

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2006, 18:05:09 pm »
So it's the Jewish New Year and as such we've had a lot of meals with DH's family (whom I adore) the last few days. Last night was dinner at MILs and although DD didn't do horribly (tried a bit of turkey and bite of pot roast and had some baby food) it was bittersweet to see my niece (only 5 weeks younger than DD) eat anything and everything - turkey, pot roast, kasha bows, pineapple, chopped liver, etc. My SIL couldn't believe how picky Marisa is and how hard it is to get her to try anything. Just made me a little sad.

Offline JennŠ

« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2006, 00:43:45 am »
Big hug Karen!!!!!!!!   Just remind SIL that M is doing this at her pace and you are going to respect that.  She is not picky, she is selective.  ;)  Speaking from experience, if you push too hard with sensory stuff, you get bigger problems.    And she did try some stuff...

Offline kirsty_167

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • My little munchkin!!
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2006, 09:18:09 am »
Hi Karen.............i understand how you feel.I often feel that way when we are out and see other children eating so well.I have actually come to a happy understanding with my sons eating...he is picky yes but he eats well with what he will eat (if that makes sense) The hard part of course is that he changes his "yes" list of foods so often its difficult to prepare dinners etc.

I think that as long as we dont push or make a fuss then they will build up to eating and trying more and more as their pallettes grow. We should in the mean time praise and praise what they do try and what they do eat.

Jakob had an awesome day today foodwise after a disasterous weekend of refusing all in sundry offerred. I posted his food he ate today on the posting "What did your picky toddler eat today".........he did so well at dinner for me he got a treat...his favourite of all...marshmallows!! (just 2 mind you but a treat all the same) I was so proud of him and he knew it...kept clapping his hands!!

Hope you are feeling a little happier..remember we are here to help each other through this as one can only understand when one actually lives it!!!

Its all very well people commenting on what our children do/dont eat or how "picky" they are (i prefer the term selective too).......but these people simply cant understand what it is like for us to feed our darlings..so comments can be hard yet they dont mean them to be. For me people dont even have to comment.....i look at them watch Jakob eating or refusing to eat and assume what they are thinking...dumb i know as they may not be.....then i get all sad and depressed about what im going to do about this whole eating thing!! WELL as of recent times i have decided im not going to do anything except persevere, praise and ride the wave!!! (oh and of course come here to BW and get help lol) ;)

Take care and big hugs your way
Kirsty

Offline Beata

• Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2006, 14:20:01 pm »
I have not read all the threads, so this question may have been asked, but I will ask here.

How many choices do you give your los? I now decide ahead of time we are having this and this for whatever meal, and I offer one at a time with ample time for dd to eat. If she refuses right away (hands me her plate) then I try to give it back once.

I know I should not worry...but it gets difficult because I start to give her snacks throughout the day, and I think I might be sabotaging her meals. I am trying to sit to every meal to create some better habits.