Author Topic: how many snacks a day?  (Read 1021 times)

Offline newmom11

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 22, 2008, 21:22:03 pm »
i have a 14 month old son who has always been on a one snack a day routine.  it was always an afternoon snack after he woke up from his nap, but i've noticed that he seems to be getting hungrier more frequently.  he can sign eat, so sometimes when he's fussy, i've noticed that he will sign eat, so i feed him a snack and it seems to cure his fussiness, so i legitimately think he is hungry.  even in the mornings now, it seems that he wants to eat breakfast right after he's done with his milk where as before he would drink his milk, play for about an hour and then eat breakfast.  i realize that at this age, they are more distracted when they eat, so they may not be consuming as much as before at each meal, but i was curious about how many snacks a day is appropriate? i am not one to want him to snack all day, is two snacks a day (an am and a pm snack) too many? right now, his schedule is as follows:

7am - sippy of milk
7:30/7:45 - breakfast
10:00 - snack -although this is the first week i've actually started routinely giving him a snack, before he never seemed to need one
12 - lunch
3:30 - sippy of milk
4 - snack
6:30 - dinner
7:45 - bottle of milk before bed

i was just wondering how many snacks most of you feed your toddlers?  and how do you decide how much of a snack to give them?  any good snack ideas?  i try to do only one carb snack a day. 

lilmonkey

Re: how many snacks a day?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 21:36:13 pm »
Two snacks sounds ok to me.  If your lo is hungry and I don't see any harm in feeding him.  If you are concern about the snacks affecting his meals, then you might want to space out the snacks so that he will be hungry to eat a proper meal.  In our household, if the children are hungry, I give them a snack.  Our snacks consist of veggies, fruits, yogurt smoothies, whole wheat crackers, cheese, even some luncheon meats.  Our current favorite is a banana wrapped in a tortilla with jam.

HTH

Offline speechie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 303
  • 7 years of spirited bliss!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 22:40:36 pm »
I do an AM/PM snack with my 13 mo DS- He's voracious, never refuses meals and definitely gets crabby about 2 hours after meals- so, I think 2 healthy snacks are OK too.
We do raisins, fruit, whole wheat toast, yogurt, cheese, veggies, Kix/cheerios/chex...
Cathie
                Nick spirited angel, born August 2, 2007

Offline 15milner

• Showing Appreciation 211
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 22:45:42 pm »
2 snacks a day here too.  He has breakfast at 8am, around 30mins after I fed him (after all he last ate at 5.30pm, so going until 7.30 the following day is a LONG time, I certainly don't go 14hours between dinner and breakfast!)

A snack around 10.  Usually some milk and a little fruit.
Lunch 11.45
sleep
snack at 3.30ish when we get back from collecting big brother from school, either milk/bf and a lowsugar biscuit like a richtea / dried fruit /
tea 5.45

Offline Antoinesmom

• Showing Appreciation 34
  • ???
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 23:37:53 pm »
We have two snacks here too for a long time.

For the size of the snacks it of course increased with age a little bit, I have to keep an eye day to day. Some days (mostly during growth spurs) he'll eat a big snack and big meals (toddler size meals of course) and most days I need to give a smaller snack or the main meal is affected.

marty
My big boy is such a wonderful brother to his new sister.
I am truly blessed.

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 00:43:27 am »
We did 2 snacks as well at that age, and ahve move dto 1 snack only after about 18 months...
9 and 6, oh boy!