Author Topic: Won't give up the bottle !!!  (Read 1026 times)

Offline popsey

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 22, 2008, 11:04:54 am »
I wonder if anyone can help me please, my 2 1/2 year old twins still have a bottle of milk in the morning and a bottle at night.  I have tired in the past to get rid of the bottle but they don't like it and wont drink their milk.  They both have sippy cups for juice and water, I tried again a couple of days ago and put the milk in to the sippy cup, my daughter did drink it some of it but took ages but my son just wouldn't do it kept crying and getting himself in a state, I thought I would try and stick with it but because he has not drunk milk now for a couple of days do you think i should just go back to the bottle.  I don;t really have a problem with them have a bottle but most people say I should get rid of it. 

I tired with a different sippy bottle again this morning and he was having non of it, crying and crying for the bottle.  My daughter drunk some of hers but only half of it.  Should I keep them using bottles for milk or should I do something else ??

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Won't give up the bottle !!!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 18:56:06 pm »
I don't have any advice personally but this thread may help

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=132837.0
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 19:04:52 pm »
My DS loved his bottle too , he didn't drink much milk but bottles were all he would drink out of ,i spent £'s on different sippy's but he just wouldn't drink out of any of them . I was in a catch because he needed to drink because of a medication he is on .What worked for us was a straw cup , he totally took to it and never asked for his bottle back .Have you tried straws ?
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline lisi's mum

• Showing Appreciation 155
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 19:08:05 pm »
Dd1 is just 3, she still has 2 bottles a day and you know what? I don't care anymore. At least she's drinking, she drinks everything else out of a glass, she's not sucking on the bottle all day - probably less than 5 minutes in total, and I find it very unlikely she'll be heading off to college still drinking from it.
Katie

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 19:19:01 pm »
I'm with Katie. If they are able to drink from other methods and are not walking around with a bottle or putting their teeth at risk by sucking all day on it, then no worries.  DS had his milk in a bottle 2x a day at your twins age.  DS has been drinking from cups and eating with utensils on his own since 1 yr old.  He drinks from sippy's, straws, tea mugs, wine glasses, water bottles, fountains, faucets, his hand cupped etc.... !  :D 8) BUT.... in his words one day, "Could I just have my milk in my bottle today, it is just so cozy..." how can I begrudge that!? There, gave him the bottle of warm milk no less and he was in his "cozy space" for less than 5 min and it looked like bliss, wish I could of joined him!  ;D He goes to nursery school and drinks milk, juice etc...from a cup and never asks for his bottle anywhere, but once in a while when he wants to be cozy at home even though 3 yrs old, go for it sweetie! As a matter of fact, he is the only 3 yr old in his class that knows how to pour the milk into his cup without spilling and some can't drink from the open cup with ease and spill too. The teacher said a lot of the LO's only know how to drink from sippys and are just now working on open cups.

Aisling x
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 19:22:29 pm by aisling »

Offline popsey

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 19:34:02 pm »
Thanks for all you replys, I think I am worrying over nothing really, I am probably more thinking this is what others want me to do when infact I can't see what the harm is.  At least he get a good amount of calcuim into him and you right he only has bottles in the morning and at night, he never drinks out of bottles in the day, he has a sippy cup with is one of these ones that is like a cup but has a cover over it, at pre school he only drinks out of open cups.  So perhaps if he wants to drink out of his bottle in the morning and night then why not. 

Just one more question though, would I be the one to stop giving the milk or do I wait for him to not want it anymore and what is a normally age when you would stop morning and night time milk?

Offline lisi's mum

• Showing Appreciation 155
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 07:42:50 am »
I drink milk morning and night - morning in my coffee, near on a pint of it and in the evening I still love a cup of hot milk.

I do find that dd doesn't want much breakfast, then again, she doesn't want much whether she has milk or not. I think it's a bit of a personal viewpoint - some see cows milk as the devil's juice, I personally think it's great stuff. If you're unhappy about the amount of food being consumed you might want to try cutting back a bit, if not, stick with it as long as they want.
Katie

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 13:22:12 pm »
Again, I am with Katie!  I found DS sort of became like an adult with his food and drinks around your twins age and some days could drink loads of milk and others none, so I just follow his lead.  He is a very good eater and tends to know what he wants and when he wants it and when he says, I am full or no thanks, he is spot on.

A x