Author Topic: B-Free Bottles / Dr Browns  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Little Bear's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • Daniel's birthday is 11 April 2005
B-Free Bottles / Dr Browns
« on: October 26, 2005, 09:18:47 am »
Hi - I'm thinking of buying one of these for my son who doesn't / won't take  a normal bottle. He's 6.5months old. I've tried all sorts of teets and also sippy cups, but not much luck at all yet. I've read these are great due to the soft spout. Is it true? Did anyone have any luck with a baby who wouldn't take a bottle changing their mind when they tried this?
Hayley
Ohakea, New Zealand

Offline Ennypen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 14:39:08 pm »
Hiya

I had problems with the Avent Bottles I originally got for my LO and changed to Dr Browns bottles and have never looked back. They are great and William finds them very easy to latch on to as the teats are nice and soft silicone (you can get latex ones too). Ive just ordered some of their training cups as these have lovely soft spouts to them that I think will be a good follow on to the bottles when William is ready.

Just buy one bottle at first if you want to try them as they are pretty expensive. I got mine 2nd hand off ebay and saved a fortune.

Helen x

Offline thbriggs

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 02:14:39 am »
We switched my daughter to Dr. Brown's from Avents at about 8 months, mainly as I was irritated with the Avent bottles always leaking.  My husband, daughter and I have never looked back.  We love the Dr. Brown's although they are more of a hassle to wash.  Bailey has less indigestion with these bottles.  I recommend the wider bottles rather than the tall thin ones.  We've also started adding cereal to her bottles because of reflux (yes she's a 10 month old with reflux) and use the Y Nipples for her feedings.  Her only problem now is she's cutting the top 2 center teeth and isn't latching on so well...this started last night and hopefully will be over in a few days!

Tiffany

Offline Little Bear's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • Daniel's birthday is 11 April 2005
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 09:07:04 am »
Hi, thanks for your responses. Good to know I might be on the right track. Tiffany, why did you buy the Y teets not the other ones? Are these particularly good for reflux or just personal preference? My DS has reflux, but is well under control, but is a very fast drinker from me.
Hayley
Ohakea, New Zealand

Offline thbriggs

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 12:45:07 pm »
We bought the Y teats as her bottles also contain rice cereal and she had trouble draining the bottle with the regular fast flow teat.  The Y teat is designed specifically for cereal use.  We started giving her cereal in the bottles about 6 weeks ago when she was diagnosed with having reflux.  We suspect that she's had reflux since birth, but it did not become serious enough until then.  The doctors recommended the cereal in the bottle as it helps coat the stomach I guess.  I must admit she's a lot happier now.  Husband and I also figured it was a good idea as she's not a real big eater during the day and we feared she was hungry leading to multiple night wakings.  Things are looking better now.

Tiffany