Author Topic: Can a baby eat too much formula at one time?  (Read 1233 times)

Offline helene_schulte

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Can a baby eat too much formula at one time?
« on: October 27, 2005, 04:14:58 am »
My 5 month old boy eats roughly 32 oz of formula in 24 hours, and has solids once a day at dinner time.  His eating has been kind of messed up, so I've slowly been trying to get him to eat during the day instead of night time....for the first time last night I only offered him a partial bottle at 4 am, and so he actually ate a fair amount by 9:30 am (in the past I couldn't get him to eat anything before noon).  The day went alright, better than usual, he would only eat about 5oz at a time (he usually eats 7), however by supper time he had only drank 15oz....then at 8:30 he drank 11 oz, and then at 10:30 he drank 6 more.  so all of a sudden he's at his 32 oz's.  Tonight I will try not to feed him during the night, because I know he ate enough today already, but is that normal to eat that much in that short of time??? :shock:
Helene Schulte
Mom to Xander James (born: May 27, 2005)

Offline caljaccol

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 04:24:34 am »
Here is a really good link that I found:

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/baby/formulafeed/9136.html
Quote (selected)
Multiply your baby's weight times 2.5 ounces of formula
If your baby isn't eating any solids (and he shouldn't be before 4 to 6 months of age), the general rule of thumb for formula amounts is 2.5 ounces per pound of body weight. So if your baby weighs 6 pounds, he should consume about 15 ounces of formula in a 24-hour period; if he weighs 10 pounds, he should have 25 ounces in a 24-hour period.

Keep in mind that these are general guidelines; your pediatrician should advise you about suitable amounts for your baby as he grows.

My dd was drinking about that much at that age too :)
Dawn
Sahm to: dd 7, dd 5.5, ds 4.5, dd 3 years, dd 15 months

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 05:18:52 am »
in the example you gave he was making up for calories since he had taken 5 instead of 7 oz...at several feeds

Olivia is 8 mo and has been unwell the past couple of days refusing breakfast and dinner solids.  bedtime bottle is usually her best bottle of the day anyway, but because she is refusing dinner she is really hungry by 6-6:30pm so we have offered bottle at 6:30, then bath at 6:45, then top up bottle at 7 or so and in that 45 min she has taken 12 oz!! when normal for her bedtime is 6-8oz, her body knows what it needs so we adjusted based on the circumstances.

now if he was eating 11oz every 4 hours i woudl say he needed to increase his solids, but in the scenario you gave i think it is fine.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified