Author Topic: 3yr's starving at night even after bottles  (Read 1122 times)

Offline littlemizflava

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
3yr's starving at night even after bottles
« on: October 28, 2005, 17:22:21 pm »
my 3yr old still takes a bottle have tried to cut her off of it but it is no hope she get so upset she gets ill so this is the problem I feed her a full meal b4 bed then she goes down with 16oz and wakes 2-3 times for 8oz it is not a comfort thing before she wakes i can hear her belly she does eat very well during the day but she just dont get full she will even wake up beging me to cook her food she says she is starving when i do this she dont go back to sleep for hours she sleeps beter when it is thick the only thing that has worked is adding a powder breakfast drink but that dont work any more have tryed soya milk, rice milk, cornmeal porage, oatmeal poarage, baby ceral, cookies, potato flakes, but i am stuck she will not take any of them PLEASE someone out there give me any ideas willing to try anything once.......
Queen 27 Princess 3  June/02

Offline cora n henry's mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 17:47:42 pm »
How trying this must be for you!  I can't immagine how much guilt you must be feeling about her eating situation.  As mother's its hard not to get stuck on eating and how much food our little ones take in.

I hope I don't come across too harsh, but at three your little one does not need a bottle anymore.  Depending on your little one's temperment, you may either want to go cold turkey or just gradually wean.  It's gonna be h*ll either way for the first few days, but I personally don't know of any other way to solve your problem. 

Your little one's old enough that you can explain the "new rules."  If she's hungry, she can eat at appropriate meal and snack times during the day.  Feed her until she's full, and then let it be. If she chooses not to eat, trust me, one day with not enough at even a meal or two she will learn to eat when it's offered.  She will not starve if you don't offer bottles at night.  When she cries out for bottles, stick to your guns and say "We dont' eat at night anymore, remember?"  If you're consistent, that should solve your problem. 

Again... not easy in anyway. But it should work.  Good luck!
Elisabeth

Cora Elisabeth 07/08/03
Henry Peter 12/08/05

Offline littlemizflava

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 06:42:33 am »
well that is the thing she does eat all day long good food too she has a very high metabolism so she is almost always hungry that is why she wakes hungry it is one of two thing wake up and go make her something to eat or give her a bottle and let her go back to sleep sometime i can even give her 16oz's of milk and she still need a meal to feel up her belly it is hard on her she will be waking up hungry but so tired so she ends up having a fight in her sleep cause she dont want to wake
Queen 27 Princess 3  June/02

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 20:19:27 pm »
Have you talked to her pediatrician yet?  Perhaps you may need to boost her calories during the day with protein powders or shakes or something of that nature.  Also, you can sneak nutritional supplements into a lot of her foods so she won't notice.  At this age, with her being hungry so much, so often,  I would want to have her fully screened for metabolic disorders just to be on the safe side before giving her any supplements.  Is she very thin?  Or is she of normal size?  And has this always been an issue, or is this a recent occurence?