Author Topic: cows milk in food  (Read 821 times)

Offline cy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 01, 2006, 16:54:06 pm »
Hi can anyone tell me if they have made porridge with cows milk ?
My baby is 9 months and i hate the thought of buying baby porridge if i can make it,any advice would be great .
thanks ;D

Offline Samanthas mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
Re: cows milk in food
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 17:02:04 pm »
As I understand it you can use cow's milk when cooking your baby's food and that includes making porridge from around 9 months. They do however warn that if there is a history of allergies particularly to milk then you should avoid introducing cow's milk in any form until after they are 1.

I have pasted an excerpt from an English website about introducing cow's milk below.

"When can I introduce cow's milk?

You should not give your baby whole cow's milk as a main milk drink until after the age of one year. From 6-12 months, during weaning onto solid foods, small quantities of whole cow's milk can be used to mix your baby's foods.
Semi-skimmed cow's milk should not be given as a drink before the age of 2 years, but you can gradually start to give it after this age, provided your child eats well and is growing well. Skimmed milk should not be given as a drink before 5 years of age." 

HTH but if you any concerns try to speak to your health visitor or doctor first.
Sam's Mum