Author Topic: Why Peel?  (Read 925 times)

Offline lyra123

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 12, 2006, 10:41:29 am »
Hi

Most things I have read state to peel the fruit and vegetables, however there have been a few recipies which mention that this isn't necessary. Can anyone please explan to me why you need to peel them, and if so which ones and how long for??

Thank you!  ;D

Offline carolyn

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 67
Re: Why Peel?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 13:14:36 pm »
It's difficult to digest some fruit peelings. It can also be a choking hazard since they can be hard to chew if the fruit is raw.  I peeled apples and pears. In fact, John still doesn't like to eat apple peelings.  I think if you are cooking them, making apple sauce for example, you can puree the peeling with the fruit.  Just make sure you wash the fruit really well to remove any residue of pesticides that may stll be on the peeling.
carolyn
John's mommy :-)

Offline lyra123

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 14:01:30 pm »
Thanks, I am cooking and pureeing them so will perhaps try leaving the peel on the pear that I'm about to prepare.

(my little one is 5 months)

Offline lisi's mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 155
Re: Why Peel?
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 14:21:15 pm »
recommended to peel root vegetables as they absorb pesticides and nitrates from the soil. The highest concentration is in the skin.

Organinc root veggies should be peeled if they're not going to be cooked - they usually use chicken poop as fertilizer, and no matter how well you wash them there are those little nooks and crannies  :P
Katie

Offline lyra123

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 16:31:58 pm »
Thanks again....luckily we have an allotment so I know what has happened to our own veg!  ;D ;D