Author Topic: 3month old - night wakings started  (Read 849 times)

Offline amandamalcolm

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 19, 2007, 10:35:32 am »
How old is your child? My boy is 3.5 months old.

What’s his/her daily routine? He is on a 4 hour EASY routine

What’s nap routine? He has his naps as per the 4 hour EASY

How long are naps? morning and afternoon 1 - 2 hours but I know his late afternoon nap, which is supposed to be a 45 minute catnap sometimes goes on too long so have been waking him up otherwise we run into his bedtime routine.

What's bedtime routine? Time? bath, massage and quiet time, bottle at about 7 and straight to bed no problem, then a dream feed at 10.30/11

Do you bottle or breastfed?? Bottle fed

How much? or how long? Has 5 x 7 oz

How many wakes per night? starts at 2.30 ish then every hour or more often if his dummy falls out before he is asleep properly again

What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? Wakes up and cries but goes straight back to sleep with his dummy, doesn't want feeding as he will not cry for food til after 8am if I let him go that long

When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? He cries but not hugely

What have you tried to settle?? Have tried shush pat til he falls properly asleep but it doesn't make any difference.  Have done 2 nights of Wake to Sleep now but nothing has changed.

What do you do for A time and how long is it? He has an hour to 1.5 hours in each 4 hour slot.  He will play on his mat, or in his chair.  We sometimes go for a walk and talk.  I often play with him and pull faces and we talk to each other. 

Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? I wonder if it's his teeth as he has constantly got his fingers in his mouth and I think he will be quite an early teether.

Do they have a prop? If so what is it? He has a dummy (paci in the US I think!) Although he won't go back to sleep without his dummy in the night, he DOESN'T go down with it at 7 or 11.  Sometimes he wants it during daytime naps but more often than not he doesn't.  I don't think it's the dummy falling out that is the issue as it isn't there in the first place!! Something is waking him up and he needs his dummy to fall back to sleep.

Do they have a lovie? No

We just can't work out what to do as he slept through properly without waking for 6 nights so we thought we'd cracked it!! Then he started the waking - first it was 4am then it got gradually earlier and now it is back to 2/2.30.  He is a textbook baby during the day, is no problem will go into his cot for naps no problem and entertain himself until he falls asleep - he is no bother but I dread the nights and the getting up to pacify him.

Maybe I should try more food? but as I said above he doesn't shout for it otherwise he wouldn't go back off to sleep easily. It is as though something is waking him up.

Any ideas?

Another thought.  He is a big boy and very alert and bright, currently over 16lbs which is big for his age.  I wonder about doing PU/PD? Anyone tried it for a baby under 4 months.

Help!!

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: 3month old - night wakings started
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 16:43:52 pm »
Is it possible that he might still need a night feed?  Some babies still need one until 4 months or even later.  There does seem to be some milestone stuff between 3-4 months that can cause sleep trouble.  Is he trying to roll over or anything like that?  I wouldn't do pu/pd on him until at least 4 months and after you have tried some other stuff first.
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline amandamalcolm

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 21:58:21 pm »
We tried food but he only took 2 ozs and wasn't interested.  He will also go quite happily til 8am without food so I don't think it's food.  Worth a try I suppose in case.

Any other ideas anyone?

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: 3month old - night wakings started
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 22:07:51 pm »
I think the dummy is your problem, or at least most of it. LOs wake up during the night as a matter of learning to sleep. It sounds like he needs the dummy to go back to sleep once he wakes. Essentially what I'm saying is that the issue isn't so much that he wakes, but that he needs the dummy to go back to sleep. You're at a crossroads - either getting rid of the dummy or resigning yourself to getting up and replacing it for the forseeable future.

And like Myia said, he's getting close the rolling milestone, which almost always really affects sleep.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o