Author Topic: Introducing DF and BF problems  (Read 955 times)

Offline mom2twocuties

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 11, 2012, 20:14:21 pm »
I have been using the BW techniques with my 15 week old DS for about one month for sleeping issues. He is on a 3 hour EASY routine (give or take because he is a short napper). He had been doing great sleeping at night and was usually only waking 1 or 2 times at the most at night to eat, so I hadn't introduced the DF. Lately, his NW have become more frequent due to development and I thought that this would be a good time to introduce the DF. I am just not quite sure how to do it. Do I just pick him up out of the crib and try to feed him without waking him or is there some other technique? He has become VERY distracted during the day while eating and I am getting very sore because he tries to turn his head while he is sucking. I have ordered a nursing necklace in hopes that this might help and try to feed him in a darkened, quiet room but that is not always possible. I am not sure how much actual milk he is getting because he is on and off the breast so much. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions so that BFing won't be so miserable for me. I really want to BF for at least 1 year but I am to the point of considering pumping and bottle feeding because I can hardly handle the pain anymore (which would be an adventure too becasue he HATES the bottle and I haven't pushed the issue because we have been working on his sleep problems). I have been to the LC and none of the suggestions have helped so far. Thanks.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Introducing DF and BF problems
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 23:32:43 pm »
Yes, you just pick him up asleep and put him to the breast and hopefully he will latch on.

Have you checked with your GP about the nipple soreness? Do you have any splits in the skin? I had that when my DS was 5mo and it turned out I had thrush although he had no symptoms. It was very painful but easily sorted with a course of tablets.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline mom2twocuties

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 03:08:20 am »
I haven't spoken to my GP yet. I did notice that a crack had formed the other day but assumed it was because my DS pulls on the nipple as he is sucking and looking around. I'll have to see if it might be thrush.

Thanks.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Introducing DF and BF problems
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 08:26:18 am »
In the meantime rubbing breast milk in the cracks. It is a great healer.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011