Author Topic: Sleep on Tummy  (Read 1195 times)

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Sleep on Tummy
« on: March 07, 2006, 09:10:55 am »
Hi,

I am not sure if I am posting this on the right board, but here it goes.

My ds is nearly 8months old and I put him down for his nap this morning.  After a bit of fussing there was not a sound coming from his room, so I went up to check on him.

When I went in he was fast asleep on his tummy - I do not want to disturb him as he does not tend to nap very well (usually only 30 minutes).

My question is, that if he is comfortable sleeping this way, is it ok for him to be sleeping on his tummy at this age?

Thanks for your help
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Sylvia.

• Showing Appreciation 232
Re: Sleep on Tummy
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 09:21:46 am »
i think heaps of babies sleep on their tummies and often they sleep better and longer so it must be comfortable, my dd slept on her tummy from just under 3 months, ds can obviously roll from back to front and front to back so it is fine only really a problem if they can't do this, i posted about this way back and other have posted since, sorry i can't remember when, i'm sure others will also reassure you

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 09:31:41 am »
Thanks for your reply - it is really appreciated.  It has put my mind at ease.

You are right - I have been battling the 30 minute sleep monster for a while now, and we have just gone past the 45 minute mark so it cant be all that bad. 

DS does do a fair bit of rolling, but this is the first time I have ever seen him on his tummy in his cot - I got a bit of a fright hense the reason for my post.

Thanks again for the reassurance.

Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 15:11:44 pm »
it is absolutely fine! enjoy your extra time!! ;)
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Critter

• Showing Appreciation 137
    • The Dallas 3 Day
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 15:21:37 pm »
Luke has been sleeping on his tummy since he was old enough to lift his head....about 3 months old.  I dont even bother putting him on his back anymore, and haven't since we stopped swaddling him in late September.
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 15:26:32 pm »
Marisa started tummy sleeping on her own at night about a month ago. We still put her in on her back and she will roll onto her side and fall asleep. She generally stays that way for naps but often at night she rolls onto tummy and stays that way. From my understanding, as long as they can roll back if they want/need to and have good head control, it should be fine.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 15:32:17 pm »
ds has slept on tummy since 6 weeks.  He wouldn't sleep on back and has been ab;e to pick his head up and move it from side to side since then.  Actually my mom watched ds and she slept him on his tummy and it was the 1st time he had slept longer than 1 hour at night. :)
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80