Author Topic: When does the sssh pat time start to reduce?  (Read 609 times)

Offline Mariesusu

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
When does the sssh pat time start to reduce?
« on: September 08, 2014, 14:02:34 pm »
Hello,

First time poster in this forum but I'm always on it trying to get some advice and reassurance for my 8 week old!
I have been doing the ssh pat method for several weeks now and although grateful that it is working (since my LO could stay up for hours without assistance with sleep) it is taking generally 30-45 minutes each nap time. That being said, naps generally go for 30 minutes on the dot, where I have to start over the ssh pat for another 30 minutes to get him to fall back asleep. I feel as though I am spending all of my days doing ssh pat....it's discouraging and very hard on the back.

My question is, when does the amount of time spent doing ssh pat start to reduce and when do babies start to fall asleep on their own?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: When does the sssh pat time start to reduce?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 20:07:19 pm »
Hi and welcome! I think it depends a lot on LO.
Your LO at 8 weeks is still very young and going through lots of growth spurts and wonder weeks that can all affect naps.
Have u tried sneaking a hand onto LO and starting to pat just before LO stirs at the 30 min mark as it can sometimes extend your nap.

I've included a thread for you to read pat/shh success stories PLEASE POST, really discouraged
Zoe

Offline Mariesusu

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 13:27:55 pm »
Yes I've tried serveral times without success, it only seems to waken him early from his already short nap! I will usually wait until he wakes on his own and try to resettle him to continue the nap. Sometimes he will go down for another 30 mins, but if not this makes his A time very long before his next feed.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 06:16:29 am »
It's a tricky age for naps, personally I would've prob brought next feed forward 30 mins and tried next nap earlier!? What about naps in a sling or pushchair are they longer than 30 mins?
If you want us to look at your day feel free to post your EAS.
Zoe