Author Topic: what's worse for me in the long run - option A (rock) or option B (hard place)  (Read 580 times)

Offline francescasb

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I've posted a few times about the various sleep issues I'm having with my 8wo, but one thing he does have that I'm very keen to promote as much as possible, is the ability to fall asleep by himself (sometimes!!). So my question is, at BT is it worse to repeatedly put him in his crib when he's sleepy but not asleep and then take him out again once his crying has escalated beyond what I understand to be a 'mantra' cry (gave up trying this option tonight after about 8 times), or rock him completely to sleep and then transfer him to his crib? Should I keep trying to give him the option to settle himself, or will I end up giving him a 'fear' of his crib?

I'm really keen to avoid APing his ability to settle himself out of him, if that makes sense?! thanks :)
British ex-pat mummy to DD (July 09) and DS (July 14)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Hugs, the first few weeks are tough. Honestly, although I totally get the fear of AP, if you have that mindset anyway it's not a trap you're likely to fall into easily. Given how young he is (8 weeks really is so tiny in the grand scheme of things) I would really try not to worry about bad habits. Give him a chance at settling on his own, but if it's not happening don't stress, just help him however you need to and then try again tomorrow.  If he can't settle because he's OT (likely at this age by BT) then he's in no position to be learning independent sleep skills anyway. Try not to think of it as AP, more 'deliberate parenting' ;) if you keep giving him the chance, one day it will click and he will do it when he's ready x

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
Completely agree with Katherine.   BT OT is huge at this age, and 8 weeks old is very small indeed. Take a deep breath, and take it easy on yourself.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline francescasb

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
thanks guys... I'm trying to be relaxed (not a natural state of mind for me!!), I just don't want to do anything now that will make things harder down the line. I'll keep gently persisting with the putting down sleepy. We have a good routine at night of feeding and burping and going straight back in to the crib, whether he's awake or not (which is just as well as he's still waking to feed every 2-2.5hrs!)...
British ex-pat mummy to DD (July 09) and DS (July 14)