Author Topic: Playing "make believe"  (Read 5446 times)

Offline Roseii

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 198
Playing "make believe"
« on: July 21, 2010, 16:17:12 pm »
DD1 (22m) has just started to "get" playing "make believe", it's ultra cute  :)

Our favourites at the moment are pretending to cook tea, she makes pasta (pa-ta) and cheese using her toy colanders (perhaps I should buy her some toy pots and pans  :P) We also do pretending to go and feed the ducks, she tells me that's where she's going and I give her some "bread" and make a big deal about how it's for the DUCKS, and then she "eats" it and thinks it's sooo funny  ;D

So what make-believe games do you play? And how did you introduce them? DD usually initiates it by playing with something such as the colander then I say "oh, are you making tea?" and it goes from there...

Just interested and picking up ideas  :)

xxx
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Re: Playing "make believe"
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 16:24:50 pm »
We do the same types of things. DD makes me food in her pots and pans and brings them to me and I "eat" whatever she says it is. Other times she plays pretend games with her babies. Pretends to give them bottles or whatever.

I'd like to see what others are doing as well.

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 20:19:02 pm »
DS loves loves loves playing food games with his stuffed toys.  So he will set up tea parties and picnic  for Tinky Winky, The Little Boy, The Naughty Doggie and Piggy (we have such creative names for his stuffed animals ::) ) The toys will whisper in my ear of DH's ear what they want and then when we tell DS he goes to get it (ie/ his plastic food).  But he likes to always get the wrong thing and then the toys get angry or the Naughty Doggy just steals it from them.  The Naughty Doggie only wants sausages and when you bring him anything else he spits it out...but when he gets sausages he ravages them and demands more, but there are no more and DS laughs so hard he has tears down his face.

That game was pretty much my January to April.  ::) 

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 20:20:21 pm »
Following on - M is really late to the make-believe party, and I have no imagination so I could really use some ideas to encourage it for her and E.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 20:26:53 pm »
It is so cute when they start to pretend!  LOL at mini-mashi...he cracks me up.

Maeve got a fisher price dolls house for her birthday and she plays it for AGES every day.  It is too cute!  I hear her chatting away to the people and how the mummy puts the baby to bed and I hear her saying 'nighty night, mummy right here to read you a bedtime story!'  

She has also taken to going to the doctors (ie the hall) and then comes back and says the doctor says her leg is broken but she's fine.  

I tend to play a good bit with her with her toys so she gets the idea and she seems to go from there.  Her favourite at the minute is her animals where her dinosaurs chase the other animals and eat them as they try to hide.  Cracks her up.

And i drink at least 100 cups of pretend tea EVERY day!  

Enjoy!!!

Offline Mashi

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 21:31:21 pm »
And i drink at least 100 cups of pretend tea EVERY day!

At least I get pretend toast with my pretend tea! (Some days it's fish though... :-\ )

We also "go shopping" and DS will take his mini shopping basket down the hall with some "pennies" in his pocket and then come running back in and pick some things up and pay me - demands change every time though  ::)  We have the Fisher Price cash register and he really likes it.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 21:38:22 pm »
LOL!!  Today DD put a tea towel on the floor and said 'mummy come on we having a wee picnic' and I was treated to a bagel, slice of cucumber and bacon rasher.....and then a bun as a treat!   So funny how much they pick up.  I nearly passed out laughing when she said the word picnic.  I think that came from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse! 

DD got a cash register for her birthday and its still in the box so must get it out as I think she'd love it.  She loves money and is always pretending to go and buy milk and fudges!  Today she came and said 'here you are mummy, 50 pounds' but unfortunately it was 1p.  If only!!

Lots of ideas for DD1's next birthday Charli!!  I'm thinking Maeve would like a doctor kit but she's already a bit dramatic when she falls so don't know if I should teach her more about it!  I envisage her needing a bandage and plasters for a simple cut.  She's already always covering herself in sudocrem for every 'wee bruise' she has!! 

Offline LucySol

• Showing Appreciation 55
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 21:38:31 pm »
Daisy loves the shopping one! she gets on her coat and says 'im going to Asda,we need some milk!' i then put things out for her like empty milk cartons,cereal boxes for her to put into the bottom of her dolls pushchair.
we make a tent out of a big blanket and the dining room chairs and its her 'house and i have to knock on the door and wait for her to invite me in!! we make beds out of cushions and blankets for inside
we make a bus or a train with the chairs and go on a trip.
we pretend to be different animals and do the actions/noises around the lounge.
The usual role play with the dolls,bathing,feeding etc
dolls house,small world play is a huge hit.

Daisy is BIG into pretend play so we do a lot,il be back if i think of more.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 21:40:13 pm »
Maeve goes to Tesco!!

I like the pretend house idea!  You have a great imagination Lucy!  I'm a bit rubbish so tend to do better with the small world play stuff!

Offline LucySol

• Showing Appreciation 55
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 21:41:43 pm »
 i used to run the local school pre school unit (pre-Daisy)...i have had a lot of practice!!!

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 21:47:22 pm »
we do fire trucks and svaing people from fires, DS pretends to be the gym tecaher and makes us all do what he says - exercises etc. (from gym class), and same with singing class.

also soem times we pretend to be different animals and do what they do, this is also a good learning game as he learns about different stuff like tadpoles becoming frogs, owls being nocturnal etc.
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Kimberlina

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 22:00:21 pm »
I remember LOVING to play grocery store with my sister! We always had a lot of food storage on shelves in the basement (lived in Utah) and we would play with all the tins of food, etc! We even had a toy shopping trolley! Good times!! I think it's a great idea with empty cereal boxes and cleaned out jars and things!!! Can't wait!!!

♥ Kim

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 23:00:57 pm »
Ava takes our keys and says "Bye Mommy, Hafta go to work!" and tries to use the keys in the door or to get into a car if we're outside. I also love when she puts on my shoes and says she has to go to work. LOL

Offline Roseii

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 11:14:07 am »
Girls I am getting some fab ideas here, good sharing!

And Mashi I unashamedly ripped off your idea this morning! We don't have toy food (but I am going to buy some now) but DD1 has a tea set with some bread so we used that, and our imaginations :) DD1 kept fetching food for all the toys (well, it was mostly "dinner" according to her, nothing specific!) and making them cups of tea. And the toys were drinking my tea too and getting told off for it ;)

Shiv I get plied with tea too!! Let's hope they keep it up when they can use the real kettle ;D And yes, some great birthday ideas!
I'm thinking Maeve would like a doctor kit but she's already a bit dramatic when she falls so don't know if I should teach her more about it!  I envisage her needing a bandage and plasters for a simple cut.  She's already always covering herself in sudocrem for every 'wee bruise' she has!!  

PMSL!!

I would love to get DD1 a cash register (my niece has one and DD1 loves it) but those little coins are too tempting and they always wind up in her mouth ::) Hope she grows out of that soon so I can get her one!!

Lucy-loving the tent/house and going on a trip ideas too. DD1 loves "going see the ducks" so I can build on that! Perhaps we could take a train to the ducks...:P

Mukta loving those ideas too for when she's a bit older, sounds like your LO likes taking charge ;)

xxx

Here's our tea-party :) (think Goofy's had a bit too much to drink)

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 11:15:44 am by Charlibob »

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 14:50:19 pm »
Mukta loving those ideas too for when she's a bit older, sounds like your LO likes taking charge

you can say that again!!! as he has grown older putting on shows is big
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 15:25:16 pm »
WOW Charli!!  Loving the tea party!  Take it DD1 loves Mickey Mouse CLubhouse!!!  I just Maeve tickets to the show and she is SO excited.  It is coming to Belfast the weekend before the baby is due and I thought it would be a lovely way to spend that weekend together!! 

Offline Mashi

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 17:50:17 pm »
Oh Tooooooooooooooooodles!!! 

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 20:32:25 pm »
Maeve actually said to me the other week 'hey what you doing pal, mummy?' and I was like 'huh?' and then I heard Mickey say it later on.   Too much playhouse disney maybe!

Offline Mashi

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 20:42:50 pm »
Yes, I think a bit too much here, too -- when we got on the plane last week, DS sat down in the seat and got the seat belt and said "this...this...this...this...this" nagging me, non stop. I kept saying "yes honey, I see...now let mommy get the bags away first..." and he just kept on pointing to it "This...this...this!" shouting at me.  So I sat him down and buckled it for him and the second I did, he started patting his knees, then patting faster, and then stuck his arms in the air and shouted "BAH!!!!!!" (as in, Blast off!) Was hilarious! 

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 20:48:19 pm »
LOL!!!!!  Mini-mashi is too clever! 

Playhouse disney has kept my sanity these last few months TBH especially when DD has been refusing to sleep!  We get 'mummy I have a problem, I need to think, think, think!' 

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 22:15:21 pm »
DS is too young for make believe but the other day I was playing with my nephews and it reminded me of when I was little. We put a washing basket or even a cardboard box on the floor and sit in it pretending it is a boat. Then use a wooden spoon to "row" the boat talking about where we're going. Then a shark comes along and eats one of our boats so we have to get in the other person's boat and be saved before we sink.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 23:47:50 pm »
Awwww....this is SO cute!! So sweet, the beginning of their imaginations, isn't it?  Pretend food was huge for us....we got a play-kitchen from my SIL...some play food, some dishes...just adorable! 

She loved to pretend to "put me to bed"...I'd pretend to fall asleep while she sang to me, and then she'd walk away after giving me a kiss... :'(......only to return about 10 seconds later and say "Mon su-shine!"  (Good morning sunshine!)   ;D

I bought a tea set for her sand table, and she will spend such a long time pouring, stirring, mixing, serving.....so, so cute!

Offline jmama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010, 17:39:16 pm »
Ikea do really great play cookery and tea sets
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 17:41:26 pm by jmama »

Offline JudyLee

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
  • DD born 13 November 2007
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2010, 06:13:47 am »
DD plays tea parties, picnics, going to work and shopping as well.
Started a new one though - restaurant game.
I read something which gave me the idea. To help them understand how it works at a restaurant so that it's not so strange when you take them out, you get to play the waiter, the chef, the person who takes your money at the end... she loves it.
We set the cushions with white cloth nappies as tableclothes, put out the cutlery and glasses, then we make up a menu and she cooks the food and puts it on trays. We then serve the toys who come and order what they would like. Then we give them the bill and they pay.
I think we play this about twenty times a day at the moment.

Offline Mashi

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2010, 07:04:53 am »
That's a great one - when my niece was younger, she used to make the WHOLE family play this any time DH and I went to visit.  FIL always saved the take-out menus that came through the front door for us to use as menus which was a great touch. 

Offline Roseii

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2010, 07:11:08 am »
Yes Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is on as we speak  :P It's either that and Peppa Pig that I have to watch  ::) Quite like PP now actually :) Sorry OT but Shiv, you are seeing LIVE MMCH?! Wowee! How did you find out about that??

Mashi DS is so funny ;D DD also randomly says "oh tooooodles!!" Even FIL has started randomly saying it!!

Anne I love the going to bed one, DD pretends to go to sleep and I say "ah, go to sleep" then "WAKE-UP!" and she jumps up, thinks it's hilarious :) DD also LOVES sand, she plays with it at my mum's, I must buy her her own...

JudyLee the restaurant one is a great idea, will have to introduce that! xxx

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2010, 13:20:44 pm »
DD watches Calliou all the time. She talks about the characters throughout the day. So today, she went to the potty and said something about holding "Gilbert" while on the potty. (Calliou's cat) then we went to the couch to watch the show and she handed "Gilbert" to me to hold for a little bit. I had to pretend to take hold of a small cat (not sure why he's so small in her imagination) and pretend to pet him, LOL

Offline JudyLee

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
  • DD born 13 November 2007
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2010, 02:36:57 am »
Oh yeah -gotta love peppa pig! Sing the title song in my sleep.

Mashi - love the idea of saving the take out menus! Thank you!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2010, 11:36:23 am »
Yes Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is on as we speak   It's either that and Peppa Pig that I have to watch   Quite like PP now actually  Sorry OT but Shiv, you are seeing LIVE MMCH?! Wowee! How did you find out about that??

Ticketmaster!  Its coming all over the UK!  SO might be one nearby you!

Have been very inspired by this thread!  Set up DD's register and food shop yesterday and haven't been able to stop playing it since.  She keeps saying 'two minutes mummy, i scanning!).  Its hilarious.  The register has a credit card machine attached and you have to put in your card and enter your pin!  Very modern!! 

We've also been playing alot with her animals.  She has been putting all her little people in their bus and yesterday I set up the animals like they were in the zoo and she drove them all around to look at them.  More like a safari actually as she didn't let them off the bus!  Her commentry was so funny...'look everybody...a tiger..its scary...it say RRRAAAHHHHH!' and then on she'd go.

i LOVE the restaurant idea.  I always remember when my parents went out I always hoped it was my gran babysitting as she let us make menus from the food that was in the kitchen and they she'd choose what she wanted and we'd cook it for her! 

Offline Kimberlina

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2010, 13:11:09 pm »
make menus from the food that was in the kitchen and they she'd choose what she wanted and we'd cook it for her!

WE DID THIS!!!! My older sister would do this for me! Bless her!
♥ Kim