Author Topic: Should I drop DF and related questions?  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Texomamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Should I drop DF and related questions?
« on: May 16, 2011, 03:53:48 am »
Hi ladies,

DD2 is 8 mo and ATM has been taking 4 bottles of about 7 oz each, one of which is a 10:30 pm DF.  For 2 of the past 3 nights, she has pretty much refused her DF altogether.  I am also having issues with her other bottles as well. For the past 5 days, she has been taking only about 4 oz at each (except the DF which is worse).  She cut her first tooth a few days ago, so I figured that was the problem.  However, the tooth is now fully erupted and she is still balking at eating.  I changed the teat size to a faster flow, and it has made no difference.  She is very happily eating her solids, and I have thought about cutting her amounts, but she is only taking about 4-5 oz at each meal, and this was the amount she was eating before the problems with the bottle began.  No NW so far.  She is a little whiny, but not terribly so.

1. Should I consider dropping the DF?  If I do, that would put her down to 3 bottles, a move I did not want to make until she was about 10 mo. 
2. Should I significantly reduce her solids, like maybe by half? 
3. Do you think it is probably still teething?  You know how those first few teeth seem to come in pairs.

Thoughts?  TIA

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Should I drop DF and related questions?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 07:24:27 am »
Why don't you leave things as they are for a few more days and see if ti is the teething - maybe give her some pain meds a bit before a feed and see if it makes a difference?

If the DF refusal goes on she may be trying to drop it. Around 7/8 months is the "normal" time to drop the DF and providing she gets at least 20oz a day it really doesn't matter how many bottles she has in 24 hours - don't forget the dairy in solids counts too!

My DD moved down to 3 bottles around 8 months and although she didn't have a DF we weaned her NF shortly after, she was getting just about 20oz in her 3 day bottles so that was ok!

Laura

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
Re: Should I drop DF and related questions?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 11:36:18 am »
Thanks Laura, I think I will give it another couple of nights.  Right now, the DF just seems so pointless.  When I went in last night, she was fast asleep and quite content.  I picked her up and tried to get the bottle in a couple of times, and she turned her head, but stayed asleep. Then, of course, I tried again, and she woke up and looked at me and started crying.  Then, I could hear her tossing and turning to resettle and get back to sleep.  After all this, she woke up this morning only about 20 mins earlier than usual.

I would be happy to go to only 3 bottles, as long as they are her usual 7 oz bottles, kwim?  Heck, w/o the DF, that is one less bottle and I can go to bed a little earlier :)

I just hope there is an explanation for this that is related to some sort of discomfort, b/c the only other possibility I can think of is that she wants to drop her bottle in lieu of solids (she is becoming very food focused), and we are much, much too early for that.