Author Topic: Dropping the DF. How would you do this?  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Texomamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Dropping the DF. How would you do this?
« on: May 25, 2011, 20:51:51 pm »
DD2 is 8.5 mo and I am considering dropping the DF.  She currently takes 4 bottles- 7 am, 2 pm, 7 pm and the DF at 10:30.  For the past week or so, she has been really inconsistent at the DF, taking little, if any.  She still seems to wake at the same time in the a.m. regardless.

If I drop the DF, we will be down to 3 bottles, and she will probably be getting only about 18 oz, less than the 20 oz min.  But, if she isn't taking much at the DF, I figure why bother?

I am not sure if I should just keep her last bottle at 7 pm or try to push it back to later by offering a larger dinner to fill her up more.  Right now, the poor thing is starving by that 7 bottle and ready for bed by no later than 7:45, so I can't hold her off very long.  Am I overthinking this?  WWYD?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Dropping the DF. How would you do this?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 14:51:11 pm »
If she is only taking a small amount if anything at the DF you could just stop giving it. Can you increase her day bottles slightly? If not give her a bit more at tea and her bedtime bottle slightly later - don't forget the dairy in her food counts so you can increase that a bit if you are worried!

Laura

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 17:46:27 pm »
Yeah, Laura, I think I just decided to drop it.  Last night, I gave her a larger dinner than usual- she ate at 5 and then I sat her in her highchair again at 6 when we ate and let her have another snack.  Then, after bath, I kept her active and playing and before I knew it, it was 7:20 and she started to whine for her bottle so I fed her then and did not offer the DF. She did fine.  I will offer 8 oz bottles, instead of 7 oz for the other 3 from now on.

It was a lot more clear cut with DD1, b/c her DF was always an "extra" bottle at 10:30 and she always took only a few oz.  With DD2 though, the DF was one of her 4 regular feeds.

Now, at least I can make 25% less bottles and formula :)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 17:50:17 pm »

Quote (selected)
Now, at least I can make 25% less bottles and formula

Every cloud has a silver lining!

Laura