Author Topic: MULTIPLE NIGHT WAKINGS-- 6 month old.  (Read 726 times)

Offline Staughty6-8-06

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
MULTIPLE NIGHT WAKINGS-- 6 month old.
« on: December 01, 2006, 14:26:11 pm »
My LO will be 6 mos on DEc 8th. We struggled for a while when he was younger to teach him to go to sleep independently and finally it worked. He would sleep from 11 pm- 7 am straight (with the bedtime of 7 pm). about 3 weeks ago, he got a cold which threw the schedule off. Then he started teething. Last week on Thanksgiving he started crawling and his two bottom teeth popped out. So needless to say he's been a busy boy and for a few nights there, we were up 10-12 times. He would wake up crying/screaming. I would give him stuff for his teeth and he would go back to sleep for maybe 2 hours.

now it seems that his teeth are not bothering him and he goes down for naps adn bedtime fine, but he is still waking up a lot at night! Probably every 2 hours. My DH or I go in there and firmly place our hand on his back (hes a tummy sleeper) and he will usually go back to sleep although there are the times he fights us and it takes an hour to fall back asleep.

We decided we wanted to try PU/PD and we really havent had to go past the soothing stage. Like I said, we go in tehre when he starts crying put our hand on his back and mostly he will fall asleep. If he fights us, hes still not cryign that hard or if he is he will give up pretty fast. So two questions :why is he waking up!??! and the other is about PU/PD. (didnt know which brd to post on as i have two ques.)
we've been at this hand thing on the back for a week now adn the night wakings are decreasing. Are we doing something wrong?> is our hand becoming a prop? Am I really reteaching him how to go back to sleep by doing this? He's also able to pull up and stand up in his crib, so if i leave the room adn he starts crying he immediately trys to do stand. shoudl i just let him cry while he is climbing all over his crib adn then go back in when he decides to lay down?

I havent started solids yet. he is Breasfed, but either eats very quickly or is just too distracted. Most of the time I do not feed him in the night, but sometimes i do if he seems hungry. he is over 20 lbs, so he;s a big boy!
Here is his schedule:
6-7 am Wake Up and BF (as close to 7 am as i can)
9 am NAP
sometime b/w 10:15-11:00 Wake UP
11 am BF
1 pm NAP
2:30,3:00: WAKE UP
3 pm BF
4:30 NAP
5:30 WAKE UP
6:30 BATH
7 PM BF and BED
10 pm- 11 pm: wakes up on his own and I BF

Any thoughts/ suggestions would be helpful- thanks!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: MULTIPLE NIGHT WAKINGS-- 6 month old.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 22:17:51 pm »
Sounds like the waking is habitual. He's gotten used to seeing you throughout the night. Unfortunately, I think you're also dealing with developmental stuff - the pulling up and standing. That's a rough milestone for sleep.

Quote from: Staughty6-8-06
He's also able to pull up and stand up in his crib, so if i leave the room adn he starts crying he immediately trys to do stand. shoudl i just let him cry while he is climbing all over his crib adn then go back in when he decides to lay down?

Absolutely not. Why would you go back in when he lays down? That will interfere with his ability to put himself back to sleep. It would be much more effective to PD when he stands and then leave him be when he lays down.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Staughty6-8-06

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: MULTIPLE NIGHT WAKINGS-- 6 month old.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 14:09:05 pm »
youre probably right. he woke twice last night and then super early this morning. I guess the key is doing PU/PD? i may post some questions there.
thanks so much--