Author Topic: Storytime  (Read 1142 times)

Offline northrose

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 07, 2008, 23:04:23 pm »
Hi,

I don't know if this is the place to post this question, but at what age is it a good idea to start storytime as part of the bedtime routine?

And how do you wrk it in?
Before bath, or after?
Before last feed, or after?
And how long soes it last?

Rose

daybyday

Re: Storytime
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 01:02:42 am »
I included story time from about 4 months on..obviously shorter, and less intricate stories...but something they could focus on, and learn to associate with bedtime.

For us depending on the ages (3 mins - 15 mins of reading). It was done just before going into the crib. While they were still having a before bed nursing session, it came before that. I would read, and then dim the lights, top up with a feed, into bed.

We read 4 stories every night now, because they both get to pick 2!

Offline northrose

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 13:26:29 pm »
Thank you!
So you don't find that the stories tend to wake them up?

Rose

daybyday

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 15:39:17 pm »
No, not at all, but I tend to keep quieter style stories for bedtime. (We don't do seek and finds or anything like that....) I also don't keep toys in their rooms, so they associate books with quiet time....

She is SO sweet Rose! LOVE the hair!

Offline northrose

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 17:47:29 pm »
DD is just 6 months...Can I wait a little longer before bringing storytime into the bedtime routine?
(It seems she has enough going on already: bath, change, breast + learning to go to sleep on her own as of last week)

Thanks for the compliment.  :)
She was born with lots of hair (even the doc said as I was pushing: "Look at all that hair!") and it never fell out, just got longer!

daybyday

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 19:05:52 pm »
hon, do what is right for you all...It won't hurt her to NOT have stories at bedtime. Do you read to her at other times of the day? How long is your bedtime averaging?

A good book for bedtime, (that my friend has, and I never got....) is baby beluga...don't know if you know the song. But when her dd (and now ds) goes to bed, she would let them handle the book and just sing the song to them. One story, done (also got a song in there lol).....

But lotsa of night night, love style bed time books out there when you are ready....

As an aside...A friend of mine read in a toddler study, that having books in the house alone will encourage reading. (just the physical presence of books, not even actually reading them, although it's OF COURSE recommended),

Offline northrose

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 22:54:51 pm »
Thank you, I will keep your (and any other) suggestion in mind, as I live in French-speaking Quebec and it's hard to find books in English in my town (although I can get them online of course).
At the moment, the best books would be board books with pictures that DD can't chew up!
I start the bedtime routine at around 7pm and it lasts about 30 mins.

I think we will start storytime once we have the whole independent sleep thing well under way.

I don't read to her during the say, but I sing to her a lot. And I dance for her...She loves it! Must be because I went out dancing the night before I had her...!  :P

Rose

daybyday

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 01:49:17 am »
Half hour bedtime is nothing to sniff at....mine on a whole takes an hour....

MOST of the big name books come in all languages, like Goodnight Moon, I'll Love you Forever (warning that one makes most mommy's cry)....Guess How much I love you...Eric Carle books can be found in French.

Have a good night...

Offline skatty

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 06:17:17 am »
I second Goodnight Moon, DD loved (and still does) Goodnight Poppycat and a lovely book called Counting Kisses where you get to do lots of kissing, so sweet  :)
Katt