Author Topic: Eating schedule and milk question for a 15 month old DD  (Read 1996 times)

Offline G and G

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Our little one is getting big!
Eating schedule and milk question for a 15 month old DD
« on: February 28, 2009, 16:14:24 pm »
Hi there. I am hoping to get some advice.

My DD is 15.5 mos old now, and will NOT drink milk or eat yogurt or cheese! ARGH. We kept her on her bottle before bed to get in the fat and calories, but she is now refusing it at night too.
She also does not like avocadoes so - any advice on how to get some more fat and calcium into her diet?

Also, we will have to move up her last feeding before bed - I am worried she will wake due to hunger or wake earlier without the bottle at night? Thoughts or advice on this at all?

Thanks!

fifibobandmore

Re: Eating schedule and milk question for a 15 month old DD
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 16:23:11 pm »
My advice is to offer something like bananas and custard. You can make the custard thick and it is a high source of calcium too and you could give this about an hour before bed instead of a bottle just to see what happens. Would she drink a sippy cup with a smoothie in. My DS#2 loves smoothies and I make the smoothie with full-fat strawberry yoghurt, apple juice, banana and avacodo. The taste of the avacardo is disided by the yoghurt and banana well my DS#2 doesn't notice that it has avacodo in it anyway and he doesn't like avacodo either.

Offline G and G

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 13:09:32 pm »
Hi and thanks! I never thought of custard.

Does this look like a good enough routine as far as food goes for my 15 mos old LO?

7:30a - wake and feed - milk, cereal and fruit
11:15a - lunch
12:30-2:30/3:00p - nap
3:00p - snack - yogurt, fruit, crackers
6:45p - dinner
7:30p - bath
8:00 - bed

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

fifibobandmore

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 10:55:49 am »
Yeap looks OK to me. My DS#2 has a similar routine to your DD except he has his dinner at 5:30 and is in bed by 6:30 and he hasd to be bathed in the morning when I get back from doing the morning school run as baths wake him up instead of relaxing him

Offline G and G

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 12:13:32 pm »
Great - thanks. I feel better about it! But now she is sick. UGH.
I appreciate your help!  ;D

Offline Texomamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 20:03:05 pm »
You can also try the prepackaged drinkable yogurts.  My 16 mo DD will often drink those when she gets tired of yogurt on the spoon.  Also, have you ever considered flavoring the milk?  My DD refused white milk in a sippy, but when I started adding Ovaltine, she took it.  I use relatively little and the benefit of Ovaltine is that it has added vitamins.  Of course, once you start flavoring the milk, it is really hard to go back and get them to drink white milk.  For me, that is a trade off I was willing to make.  Also, you may want to search for a thread, either on this forum, or just goggle it for something like "getting your toddler to drink milk".  There are threads with all sorts of ideas (most of which involve flavoring the milk).

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 20:37:11 pm »
these wont help her drink milk but will help with the dairy intake: rice pudding has loads of milk, we use that a lot. also cheese sauces in dinners. grated cheese melted into any dinner you can hide it. i think spinach has a bit of calcium (might want to check as not certain)?? that can be stirred in until wilted at the end of loads of dinners. also fish like tinned salmon is good for calcium as it has really soft bones in it (that are fine for the littlies to eat so long as it's mashed) this is good for fatty omega 3 too.